little tip I just remembered

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by curliet, Jan 10, 2009.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    For many years the favorite thing for our family was camping. And sometimes we didn't have much money for camping equipment and gear and had to find ways to make our own stuff. We did a lot of our cooking on campfires and camp stoves, and carried most of our food in coolers. There was always a problem with eggs, as the cartons would get wet and smoosh in the cooler. Tupperware came out with a little plastic jar type thing that you could use to put eggs in, and then pour them into the pan and they would come out individually. It was great. Somehow I lost the tupperware one, and really missed it. One day as I was trashing some stuff, I took a second look at the container that the powdered coffee creamer came in. I cleaned it out good, and put a few eggs in and voila! it worked just like the expensive tupperware one. I also discovered that if you put a whole lot of eggs in one, filling it pretty full you could pack it tightly into your cooler between other stuff so that it couldn't jiggle around much, you could carry lots of eggs without scrunching them in the carton. And it took up less space, and could be used for the whole time you were camping. To scramble your eggs, you could just add your ingredients and shake it up and pour right into the pan. And, then the next container was put to use for mixing and pouring pancake batter, etc. I'm sure that you could think of lots of other ways to use these.

2. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Coleman sells an egg carrier just for camping. It holds a dozen eggs and folds up like a little suitcase. It is hard plastic and has little fingers to keep eggs of all different sizes steady. About 3 bucks at wal mart.[​IMG]

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Yea, I use one for camping,I wonder if any one uses those to ship eggs in ?

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    What a great idea! I will have to have someone save one for me.

We looked at the Coleman containers when we went camping last time and just didn't want to invest in them as the eggs holders were small compared to my eggs and my eggs wouldn't fit.

I am definitely going to use the coffee creamer container idea! Thanks for that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by