Little White Worms

Rmallen

Chirping
Jul 13, 2021
For the first time ever, I found a pile of poop about a month ago in my chicken coop that had white worms in it. I quickly treated my whole flock, waiting 10 days and gave 2nd dose on 6/23. I thought we should have rid them; but we came home after a weekend trip for the 4th of July and I found a pile of chicken poop in the corner of the coop that was being completely decomposed by a bunch of little white worms. I removed the pile and cleaned the chicken coop and spread DE over everything. Now today I saw one of my Hens poop and immediately saw the little white worms wiggling around in her poop :( They look like little bits of white rice wiggling around. Should I try treating again?? I have never dealt with worms before.

For the first time ever, I found a pile of poop about a month ago in my chicken coop that had white worms in it. I quickly treated my whole flock, waiting 10 days and gave 2nd dose on 6/23. I thought we should have rid them; but we came home after a weekend trip for the 4th of July and I found a pile of chicken poop in the corner of the coop that was being completely decomposed by a bunch of little white worms. I removed the pile and cleaned the chicken coop and spread DE over everything. Now today I saw one of my Hens poop and immediately saw the little white worms wiggling around in her poop :( They look like little bits of white rice wiggling around. Should I try treating again?? I have never dealt with worms before.
What did you treat with the first time around?
It sounds like they have tape worms and you want to praziquantel for that.

If you could post a picture of what you were seeing, or find a video online similar, that would be helpful. Did it look like maggots in the poop? That could be possible if a fly had laid eggs in it after it was dropped, or if the hen had maggots on her vent. Or it could be tapeworm segments, white do move around when droppings are fresh. Praziquantel is best for treating tapeworms, and is in products such as Droncit tablets, Equimax or Zimectein Gold horse paste. Below is a good video of tapeworm segments in chicken poop:

I can not remember for the life of me which it was, I will check when I am home today but I do not believe it was praziquantel.

If you could post a picture of what you were seeing, or find a video online similar, that would be helpful. Did it look like maggots in the poop? That could be possible if a fly had laid eggs in it after it was dropped, or if the hen had maggots on her vent. Or it could be tapeworm segments, white do move around when droppings are fresh. Praziquantel is best for treating tapeworms, and is in products such as Droncit tablets, Equimax or Zimectein Gold horse paste. Below is a good video of tapeworm segments in chicken poop:

yes it looked just like the photo showing on the front of that video! Definitely not maggots from flies. If I just treated them with Ivermectin (I have to double check that's actually what I have at home currently), do you know if its OK to treat them again now with one of these other products?

Absolutely, go ahead and treat them with the Equimax or Z-Gold.
th3G3I95CG  equimax.jpg

I can not remember for the life of me which it was, I will check when I am home today but I do not believe it was praziquantel.
Okay just checked and I used a fenbendazole. So i will pick up some Praziquantel this afternoon and give that a try!

Back
Top Bottom