Live Harvesting Goose Down - Finally an Update

The article I read about the Amish who raise geese for this stated they harvested on a schedule. Also that they took the down from the double row on the breast and belly that usually sloughs when they sit on eggs.

I expect this is what they line their nests with. Apparently, they could harvest this every 6-8 wks in the spring, summer and fall. They never mentioned taking feathers, but I'm sure a certain amount of small feathers slough off as well during these times.

On a schedule like that, and having a sizeable flock, one could harvest quite a bit of down!

I never thought of it that way. This spring I'll have to try and harvest a second time to see how it goes. It'd be great if geese could be harvested every two months in the summer (and with the summers we have around here they'd probably appreciate the breeze
smile.png

That'd also make things more appealing for the small homestead. I don't want people to feel as if they need fifty geese in order to benefit from harvesting down.

Now all we need is to find electric goose clippers for shearing during the hot summer months
smile.png

PS: I listed a quart-sized bag of pure down on ebay with a $0.99 starting bid. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to toss up ebay links here, so to be on the safe side just PM me for the link or look up "All Natural Goose Down" and it should come up.

Very informative thread; thank you. I have visited your website and would like to say thank you again! Very nicely done, particularly the geese section. Such a vast amount of info in one spot.

I wish to acquire a couple of goslings this spring and I see you have the Pilgrims listed as favorites with the American buffs following right after. I noticed that you did mention the Blue's and Lavenders, do you have any first hand knowledge of the personalities of these rare birds thru breeder freinds? I'm going under the assumption that they will posess the same charactoristics as the buffs.

I have been contiplating the Blues and hopefully will be rewarded with charming personalities, good weeders...and a few new pillows for the couch : )

And who knows, one day they will be more common my surrounding area...purebreds of course.

Thanks again,
Sally

Quote:
If I remember right there is a section on Down and feathers in the back of Holderreads "the Book of Geese" It is an older book and might be out of print but I think you can still get it through the author who now has a website. Google 'Holderread' to find it. BTW I still recommend this book to anyone interested in Geese, it was written before he introduced the new colors but covers all the domestic breeds. I haven't found any of the newer books that cover the subject as well as he did.

My dad who grew up in poland said to me that all the towns woman would come up together and harvest the down from the geese once in a while.They would make pillows coats,mattreses ect from them.

I was reading a Foxfire book and I honestly didn't realize that you can pluck live (I also learned this by playing Farmville on Facebook LOL)

I know this is an old thread, but very informative, thanks a bunch!
>^.^<

I have never done it but probably the easiest birds with which to harvest the down are young birds as you have a pretty good idea when they will be molting their feathers. Ducks will do it at about 8 weeks and 13 weeks of age. Geese are about at 9 and 15 weeks. Waterfowl go through at least two sets of feathers before they get their final set. There are some groups here in the US and Canada that will grow their ducks to 12 weeks before processing (normal age is 6-7 weeks). One of the reasons is they can harvest some down at about 8 weeks. From what I have gathered, if it is done carefully, the birds are not harmed.

Back
Top Bottom