Live trapping rats

bettyann53

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Can anyone tell me what they are using to bait live traps to catch rats? I use a lot of live traps for other critters, but not for rats.

just a quick google search says peanut butter is your best bet.

but why live trap rats? rat traps (the snap ones) are cheaper/ easier to use to catch a rat. as far as i believe.

I use a small ball of peanut butter, rolled in rolled oats so it does not stick to anything. My trap is not a live trap though. It's an electrocution trap. I really like it a lot. I've gotten a bunch with it so far. In fact I just bought a smaller one today for mice. You don't even have to look to see if you got anything... the light on it flashes when you have gotten a varmint.

What is the name of your trap? I am thinking that is the way to go. I have had chickens for
8 years and never had rats. Now, I have rats. :he

The rat one is called a Rat Zapper. The mouse one (just caught a mouse in it!) is called a Victor. We got them at two different hardware stores. They use 4 AA batteries, the rat one can get 4 rats per set of batteries, the mouse one gets 100 per set of batteries. Of course, mice can go in the bigger rat trap and I've caught mice with it. But to get rats, you need the bigger one. They would never fit into the smaller mouse one.

Back
Top Bottom