Liver Problem??

Sommalincolne Bantie Roo

Songster
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
West Yorkshire, England
Help!!

I've a young hen who has recently gone down hill very quickly. She is lethargic, losing weight rapidly, dark green poop, picking at eating.

She is in the house now under a hot water bottle to keep her warm. Keep tempting her with alsorts to get her to eat.
She's passing dark green poop which I've read is not good and pods liver problems?

Anybody had the same problem and how did you treat.

I've a horrible feeling she wont be with us for much longer my poor Harriett!!
Any information would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Sorry to hear about your hen. Dark green droppings can be a sign of not eating. The green is bile. Are most of her droppings the same color? Can you get her to a vet soon? There can be several problems that can cause weight loss and a poor appetite. How old is she? Is she standing and moving her extremeties normally? Was she vaccinated for anything? Most chickens will eat egg even when sick. Try to get some water into her with a dropper or spoon. Electrolytes in the water can help. B Complex or nutritional yeast, and plain yogurt added to food may also help. Coccidiosis can be a common illness in younger chickens, and amprollium or toltrazuril from a vet are commonly prescribed.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute (potassium) leave out if not available
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply Flock Master but Harriett passed away.
She wasn't vaccinated, healthy and a good appetite. Free range of 10mx10m pen. She went down hill very quickly the weight just dropped off her. Ate a couple of free sweet corn and drank abit of water with cocid init and after that wasn't interested. She just sat on a hot water bottle, didn't respond to anything, nxt day passed away. Was so quick.
I am suspicious of someone throwing poison in my pen????
But l don't know. I am upset that lve lost a special one so quickly.

Thanks again for your advice flock master. I am keeping a very keen eye on the rest of my chucks!!

Sorry for your loss. There can be many things to cause the death. A veterinarian or poultry college might be able to do a necropsy to find a cause of death if another becomes ill. Hopefully, this won't affect the other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom