Liver Support Recommendations

lases77

Chirping
May 19, 2023
Does anyone have any recommendations for good liver support remedies, supplements, etc? I have a hen acting normal, but lowered appetite and pale yellow urates.
Ruled out reproductive issues, no water belly. Hoping to perhaps get in front of what may be going on, with a good liver support.

Any and all recommendations are much appreciated!!

I don't have a precise answer,,,,,,,,,,, but let me throw some facts.
If chickens are not laying steadily, then LAYER feed may be too high in Calcium. 4%. .for them. High calcium, processed into feed is not recommended for roosters also. I use AlFlock feed, which has 2% calcium. My laying hens supplement their calcium needs with Cracked Oyster Shells,,, free-choice. I also recycle all my egg shells from eggs I eat.
The higher Calcium can be detrimental to liver, and kidney functions in non laying, hens, and roosters.
Just did want to mention this. The higher calcium, does not automatically make chickens crossing the Rainbow Bridge,,, but longer term consumption does take its toll.
Try feeding your hen some EXTRA protein. That can be some small amounts of cat food. (view my Avatar) Leftover meat products from dinner will work also.
They usually will not OD on too much protein. The side effects, are Runnier stools,,, and somewhat smellier.
Not sure what you are feeding now,, but consider purchasing higher percentage protein feed. :idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Milk thistle is thought to be a helpful supplement for liver issues, for people and for chickens, due to it's content in silymarin.
I wouldn't be able to give you a precise dosage unfortunately. You could do a search on this site or look at sites selling milk thistle specifically for chickens like this one.
I don't think giving it would harm your chicken if her problem wasn't that.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good liver support remedies, supplements, etc? I have a hen acting normal, but lowered appetite and pale yellow urates.
Ruled out reproductive issues, no water belly. Hoping to perhaps get in front of what may be going on, with a good liver support.

Any and all recommendations are much appreciated!!
Milk Thistle
TypePlant PartDosageSpecific useResultsRef
Hens200-400 mg/kg of dietantioxidantImproved, even not significantly, egg laying rate (+2.91%), feed conversion rate (-4.52%) and dry matter content (+0.54%). Moreover, it induced a significant increase (P<0.05) in total lipids (+0.72%) and total sterols levels (+0.02%) of the eggs. Any significant difference in eggs quality was found for Silymarin at the highest dose (400 mg/kg of feed).A Quarantelli et al., 2009
Chickensseed extract0.5-1% dietantioxidant, aflatoxicosiscan provide protection against the negative effects of aflatoxins in poultry feed.H Amiridumari et al., 2013
Hens400 mg/kg of feedinhibited steroidogenesisS Romanelli et al., 2016
Chickensliver protectionsilymarin is able to moderate the immune system, by boosting IL-4, IFN-?, and IL-10. The hepatoprotective effect of silymarin in poultry farming is poorly understood, although it may be used as a cheap, non-toxic and safe feed additive to manage liver related disorders and to replace synthetic drugs in poultry diets.M Saeed et al., 2017
Broilers1 to 100 mL/Kg of dietliver protectionhas potential to alleviate the adverse effects of oxidative stressA Baradaran et al., 2019
Broilers0.5%/kg feedMinimized the adverse effects of toxins contaminated feed on the performance of broilers.M Abdulwahid et al., 2021
Ducks600 mg/kg of dietliver protection, aflatoxicosisCan be used to reverse the harmful effects of aflatoxins on hepatic and kidney tissue.S El-Sheshtawy et al., 2021
Chickens50-75 mg/kg PO q12hantioxidantClinical Veterinary Advisor
Broilersextractup to 2.0 mg/kg body weightblood parametersincreased the number of red blood cells, hemoglobin, white blood cells in the blood, as well as a decrease in the level of albumin and an increase in the content of ?-globulins in its serum.O Bagno et al., 202

Back
Top Bottom