Livestock Guard Dogs -- UPDATE: puppy home! (pics)

Quote:
gig.gif
I got a dog JUST like that!!! She is a brittany and I got her from my aunt's other sister or something like that... and she was a city dog ALL THE WAY!!! She was less than a year old and the origanal plan was to take her, train her, and try to sell her, but now, she's curled up on my bed... asleep... 3 years later...
hugs.gif
She's my best pal. The first time I took her out to help me feed the animals (mainly just keep me company,) she got scared of EVERYTHING and freaked out. She didn't like the horses, she didn't like the four-wheeler, she had this look on her face that said, "I hate the world! It's dirty". She was SO funny. After a little bit of bonding time out there, she got used to everything and now she'll push for birds everytime I go out there but heel to me when I ask, and get on the horse when I go for rides. I also go down and practice agility with our 4-H club. I love her lots
smile.png

Here's a picture of her...
23tpovm.jpg

I love aussies. If I were to get a dog, my first choice would be another brittany, second heeler, third aussie. My 4-H club leader has aussies and they are beautiful animals. If I were you, I'd get Robin.
wee.gif

Bear Paw has a very good point. Herding breeds may protect what they see as theirs, but they are not livestock/property guards. Our Border Collies are great working dogs -- at herding (and even with natural instincts, they have to be taught their trade). I would never just leave them with the horses or goats (and soon, chickens), not because they'd harm them, but they would constantly try to do their job, which is herding (the goats and chickens would get stressed; the horses would just get ticked). As for their guarding ablities -- our female would give her life for her "flock" (which includes us), our male isn't as assertive but for the sake of the boss he might give it a good college try -- but they'd both most likely get the snot torn out of them by anything bigger and more determined than a fox. They've been bred to keep their rough and tumble under control (moreso than a guarding breed) and they aren't very big.

True livestock guards are big for a reason and have been bred to step it up a notch if they feel it's warranted (emphasis on "they"). That's the way of a good guard dog, but not a good herder.

We had good luck with our Dobies (not a livestock guard, but she naturally wanted to protect us and the property by extension) and our GSDs (old working line, man did we get lucky finding them -- they still had herding and guarding instincts, were healthy and sane -- that's almost impossible to find in a GSD anymore), and oddly enough a Pitt Bull that we found abandoned (actually one of the best dogs we've ever owned). All these dogs were much better at guarding than our Borders (we liked to say the Borders would call in the heavy artillery, our other dogs, when trouble was afoot). NONE of these dogs was an ideal livestock guardian though (with the exception of the GSDs, and good luck finding a GSD like that anymore, those kind are mighty hard to come by) -- if we ever get a place that's really out in the country, we will look into an actual livestock guardian breed (my husband likes the GPs and Anatolians; I'm partial to the Maremmas and Kuvaz) -- and of course, like all dogs, they will need training and socialization.

Although I will admit that Pit Bull is one fine dog -- very maternal towards all that are "hers", sane in her reactions towards people and animals that are "ok", and when the situation calls for it afraid of nothing (when the situation doesn't call for it you'd think she was the biggest wimp, lap dog on the planet). Flame suit on and zipped -- I know there are folks out there who think them the spawn of Satan and will never be convinced otherwise.

Rosalind -- I had that SAME problem, with a cat. Which is why I didn't look into breed rescues too much. The cat rescue organization wouldn't give me a cat because I'd never owned a cat before. And heaven forbid that I permit my cat outside! They informed me straight off that my cat was supposed to be an indoor animal only, no ifs, ands, or buts. I actually had a breeder turn me down for an Aussie, too, and then I realized that I needed to look for working ranch type breeders and not city breeders. Ironic for dogs that were specifically bred to be farm dogs... but some breeders just want them in show rings, to heck with their original purpose.
barnie.gif
They probably wouldn't have made good ranch dogs anyway!

Bear Foot Farm -- I thought long and hard about whether to get a "true" LGD, and in the end I decided I wanted a dog that had a greater ability to be a pet, too... i.e., not 95 pounds and really sheddy and untrustworthy off-lead. (I wanted a dog that could hop in the car and run errands with me in town.) However, a lot of Aussie owners I know say they're great around chickens. A dog who's well trained and well exercised (and not left with chickens 24/7 obviously) won't herd them to death but will guard them and protect them vigilantly. A good shepherd will follow commands when asked, but also stay with a sick or injured lamb until help arrives -- so in that sense they are part LGD. And most importantly... a shepherd won't try to retrieve them like a retriever or shake them to death like a terrier or hound!

Beekissed -- The breeder would be willing to take the pup back at any time... but I think that, if I raise an Aussie who's untrustworthy around chickens, it's probably my fault or a freak of nature. The dog's genetically programmed to tend and guard a flock of some kind, and most Aussies start out working ducks.

rjv_piper -- what a gorgeous girl!!!

Kudos to everyone who's rescued a dog from the humane society... I think it's wonderful and it was my first choice of where to get a dog... but when push came to shove I wanted to give myself the best chance of getting a chicken-friendly pup! Maybe some day I can be a doggie foster parent, and have a separate enclosed non-chicken yard... but until then hopefully I'll have a trustworthy Aussie.

Anyway, enough controversy! I think I'll find out in the next few days which pup I'll get. The breeder's doing personality testing with the pups on Monday, and will then offer the pups that would work well for my living situation (livestock, first time Aussie owner, farm) so I can pick one of them. It's an interesting way of doing things (you can't just pick any pup you want) but I think it's great -- she knows so much more about puppies and personality types than I do and I trust her judgment. I'm so excited!!!!

We a boxer and a blue heeler/beagle mix. They keep our yard completely clear of varments (include cat in varment category) Boxers are one of the greatest breeds but be ready, they need AC in the summer (at least in OK) or they can die, and they are very short haired so in extreme cold they get, well cold. So basically, a really huge lap dog.

13675_dcp_2486.jpg

The best dog Ive had is my Australian Shepherd. He doesnt bother anything, and always barks when anything gets close. Yes he is a herding dog, but hes also a great LGD. He stays with the animals 24/7 and a true herding dog doesnt herd unless told to, at least if they are trained right. My Aussie doesnt herd anything unless I tell him to. Ive never lost an animal since Ive had him.
Edited to add: We have horses, cattle, and goats. My Aussie doesnt herd any of them, unless hes told to.
18999_112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
You can call an Aussie an "LGD", but that wont change the fact that Aussies are HERDING DOGS, and are not Guardians at all

Herding dogs should NEVER be left in with the other animals all the time, since they would drive them crazy by constantly trying to HERD them.
A TRUE LGD's only purpose should be to spend that vast majority or it's time with it's flock or herd as a protector.

The term LGD is often misused to describe ANY dog thats around other animals, but reality is, properly used, it should only refer to specific breeds that have been developed for that purpose.

Most of the TRUE LGD breeds can be traced back hundreds if not THOUSANDS of years, and do their jobs by instinct with almost no training at all.

REAL LGD's:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maremmasheepdog.htm

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

http://www.lgd.org/

HERDING DOGS:
http://www.herdingontheweb.com/dogs.htm

Ok I stand corrected, I have a herding dog that loves to be outside all night, has chased off racoons, fox, possums and barks like crazy when the coyotes start yipping. I have not seen a predator track in about 60 days and I leave her alone with my chickens all the time. On New years day a friend brought their dog over and she stayed between that dog and my run religiously.

Yep I am sure in a knock down with a bunch of coyotes she would not stand much of a chance like a GP, but she has a pretty darn good sense of what she is to do with the poultry and makes no effort to herd them. Horses are a different story.

So maybe you are right not a LGD, but she works for what I need. I am not trying to protect a couple thousand head of sheep in the middle of nowhere.

I clearly "get" the instinct side of these animals.

First I have to say I LOVE BIG DOGS!!!!!!!!!!, however if you need a smaller breed please consider the old time farm collie, which is an English Shephard, now making a comeback as all around good farm dogs. I have one! My Great Grandfather, Grandfather and Dad had them to! I have also had Aussies, which are great.

http://www.englishshepherd.org/club.htm

Bear Foot Farm -- I thought long and hard about whether to get a "true" LGD, and in the end I decided I wanted a dog that had a greater ability to be a pet, too... i.e., not 95 pounds and really sheddy and untrustworthy off-lead.

You made a good choice.
I think a lot of LGD's end up in shelters and rescues due to the fact that lots of people dont understand that the LGD breeds are not like most dogs.​

Quote:
BY THE WAY...... What do you guys guess the breed type of my dog sharky? he is tall, leggy, 70 lbs. sheds constantly, protective, good with the stock and kids. he has a funky dew claw on the back. i am going to get his DNA done....so I'd like some guesses before!!

Back
Top Bottom