Livestock Guardian Dogs

crazybirdperson42

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2018
After the 8th death within about 4 days to a raccoon, we're considering livestock Guardian breeds for the chickens. I've had trouble with raccoons and oppossums before, and I'm really, really tired of it.
So basically, does anyone know anything about them? What breeds to look at, what they're like with temperament, etc. I'm willing to do just about any amount of necessary training. Not really worried about price either, it would save me a lot more money than it would cost. Is it possible to find one that would be good as a guard dog most of the time, but that I could show at dog shows sometimes (dual dogs)? Would the working temperament make them bad with other people even if I socialize them a lot? I live in South Louisiana, most of the breeds I've looked at have thick coats. I can put a fan out, but would they still be okay? Basically, anything you know about them would be great.

After the 8th death within about 4 days to a raccoon, we're considering livestock Guardian breeds for the chickens. I've had trouble with raccoons and oppossums before, and I'm really, really tired of it.
So basically, does anyone know anything about them? What breeds to look at, what they're like with temperament, etc. I'm willing to do just about any amount of necessary training. Not really worried about price either, it would save me a lot more money than it would cost. Is it possible to find one that would be good as a guard dog most of the time, but that I could show at dog shows sometimes (dual dogs)? Would the working temperament make them bad with other people even if I socialize them a lot? I live in South Louisiana, most of the breeds I've looked at have thick coats. I can put a fan out, but would they still be okay? Basically, anything you know about them would be great.
Hi neighbor! Go check out my thread.. Does anyone have a Great Pyrenees...? Some folks put some great info about them that might help you out a little :)

Might look into other working breeds as in Newfoundland, Anatolian, Maremma are just three others some are more harsher you must be the top dog but all bring true joy and love when raised with love and consistent positive training

Welcome!
Right now, it's about having a safe coop and run for your birds!
Electric fencing or electrified poultry netting are very good options. Look at @Howard E's articles, and Premier1supplies has good online and phone information, and products.
A LGD is the most expensive and most time consuming possible flock protector!!! In fact, you will need two, at least, and they need to be fenced on your property. Most breeds shown do have long hair, not so good in hot climates.
Look at instant fixes first!
Trap and shoot your current varmits, and reinforce your coops!
Mary

Each LGD will either be a flock guardian, yard guardian or the perimeter runner that chases off predators.
None are bred as pets and usually very elusive with strangers.
I have a Maremma who lays with my Birds when out but definitely protects my yard when the birds are in. My Golden Retriver/ Aussie is my perimeter watch dog and chases off predators.

Back
Top Bottom