Living off Social Security

Pics
@perchie.girl So excited to hear that it is almost time for the big move.
:wee
It has been, and will be, al ot of work, but will be so rewarding when you are finally there.
Its been a long scary haul for sure. The Guy Working on the house is Luis Medina. All of 23 years old. Got his Master Builders designation through the building trades. Working his A$$ off for his Father who is also a Master. No shortcuts or passes given. Just good training. Started as one of those guys that cleans up the debris...

This is his first solo Job though. I can tell. and I am OK with that. Working two jobs is no pick-nick either. I am a Retired Manufacturing Engineer and know the pressure big time.

When he first started I told him he needed to pull the whole subfloor out and put in one inch thick subfloor. Thats what had to happen in the Bathroom years ago and its solid as a rock. He smiled and nodded and we went round a while I assumed some things and was very wrong.

The thing we both agreed on was the original flooring had to go. So I let him loose and didnt interfere. Ho boy we were both amazed and surprised. There were three layers Starting with Very stained White berber carpet under that was linoleum. of course the kitchen was linoleum but a different type. So up came up that subfloor of particle board only to find another subfloor of a mixture of Plywood and pressboard. And very rotted soaked subfloor in the kitchen.

Someone had drilled Drywall screws through a water pipe in the sink area. hence the source of moisture. Had to be there at least before I bought the house. And the reason the floor was collapsing in front of the sink. Same as the bathroom. The only thing that was keeping you from falling through the floor was the linoleum. And one final layer of quarter inch thick Linoleum.

We found out why they had put carpet in though. The addition to the house was a full inch lower than the rest. Resolved with some Wall paneling and Automotive Bondo and Drywall mud. :th He also found the original joists were warped making bulges in the floor. And in a dry portion of the house. He fixed it all. He insisted on a 5/8 thick plywood and by now I trusted him. When he finished the floor was amazing. Flat Smooth and no Slope.

So now I Wrote a book.... LOL.

Happy to see my little Thread has got some more life in it. I am going to pop over to my Canning thread and give a little update there as well before I have to Disappear for another trip to the house. Taking up my Pot Filler Faucet up as well as my new range hood... :wee

deb

Back
Top Bottom