Living off Social Security

YEP.... though I dont cook alot using an oven... I want to do a summer kitchen but attached to the house so I can get in with my walker. That is on the north side of the house. and in in the shade all of the year.

I do want to do a rocket stove out there... run it through into the house for whole house heating.... Use it for cooking and heating...

Love rocket stove concept... all round.
Ours were really easy to make - but definitely not as "cute" as yours. .

I had a lifetime with horses and their accompanying thumps and bumps.... crushed virtibre, a neck that looks like badly stacked poker chips... repaired ACL ligament.... Hernia... only recently found.

I did well on ibuprophin and Chiropracter for years... But now Arthritis is worming its way in... So I NEED to keep active.... gently but need to to keep from being stove up completly.

Key to it is take tylenal BEFORE you tackle a project... And dont wait for the hot shower....

deb
Laughing along with you my friend.

I am so glad this thread got resurrected! Lots of great ideas. @perchie.girl what have you accomplished in the last six months? I'm really curious if you've put any of your plans into place.

My husband and I bought a five acre, off-grid property in February that we have been working hard on ever since. We've been using the Humanure method and I honestly have no desire to have a toilet connected to septic. There is no smell, we get sawdust for free. We do pay for straw, but that's ok. Beats a septic build.

We are also digging our own well. It is legal to do that in WA state as long as you follow the rules. It's hard work because we have incredibly rocky soil, but we are still only 50 years old and we can do it. Our goal is to retire to this property in 5-10 years.

We are not going to be living on SS because my husband will be retired military, but we still count our pennies and budget prodigiously.

As far as cost savings go, I've found that nothing trumps a solid budget that you stick to come hell or high water. In our budget I plan for "Wish List" and "Wish Farm" items. This is how it works:

https://www.youneedabudget.com/wish-lists/ *

*I am in no way affiliated with YNAB other than as a customer (been using it for 6 years now)

I find that when we write down everything that we may possibly want and discuss it, things tend to become obvious as to where the money needs to be spent. So far DH and I have had no major disagreements on Wish Farm items, but recently I wanted 3 huge windows off of Craig's List for the single-wide rebuild and he didn't. After sitting down and looking at the list again I realized that the windows weren't as necessary as working on the well and getting the old 1979 Chevy Luv 4x4 that came with the property up and running. Windows will have to wait.

Last edited:
We are creating a Food Forest at the south end of our property (our property is rectangle, longer south/north). We planted 3 apple trees, and are creating raised beds using logs we have chopped down and filling using the hugelculture, lasagna bed, no dig method of filling the beds. We have found two sources of free horse manure and another free source of spent beer grains. We get free spent coffee grounds from all the coffee places in the area. I've been experimenting with using rooting hormone to propagate plant cuttings in order to get as many plants as I can for free. My neighbor has a California lilac bush which I love and I'm hoping the shoots will take root.

For the food forest, we are planting the apple trees as "trios". The method is explained here:

I actually bought this guy's movie https://www.permacultureorchard.com, but you don't have to if you don't have the money. I think pretty much all of his ideas are in his YouTube videos.

I also bought a top bar beehive off CraigsList which I may start next year. Maybe. I'm not so interested in the honey as I am in pollination. So I want to encourage many types of bees, not just honeybees.

Like someone else said here on this thread, moderation is key in deciding what to do and not do in order to avoid burnout, hence I'll start the bees when I feel I can take it on.

Welcome Olympic Chick... I am finally rehabbing my house in preparation for the move up home. Well um A very energetic young man and several helpers is... LOL.

The floor in the house is toast down to the floor joists. He even had to replace some of those as welll as rebuild a wall due to water damage. Some !@# put a dry wall screw in the wall and pierced a water pipe. My guesstimate is that its been that way for more than twenty years...

Since they were taking the floors out and had to strip out the drywall on two walls I opted to reconfigure the kitchen. New cabinets sink and plumbing as well as a new spot for the Refridgerator. Going to steal about a foot and a half from my Art studio for the Refrigerator enclosure.

Hes building me a pantry as well stealing some space from the living room. Removing two sliding glass doors as well One will get framed in the other will get a front door installed. A real honest to Gawd front door.

So new floors through out from the single bedroom through the kitchen. Vinyl plank flooring.

No upper cabinets only shelves if I need them and The pantry.

So this is how its going. Young man is full of juice but he works a full time job so its still going slow.

deb

Back
Top Bottom