Developing a Yearly Plan

mml373

Chirping
Aug 3, 2019
I have about 50-60 birds that are dual purpose. My plan was to have them mostly for meat, but I am finding overwintering is expensive and nasty here in southern Missouri (mud and muck). Unfortunately I bought them later in the year than I should have, which means I"m now feeding substantial amounts of grain to get them to grow/stay warm in our cold weather. They go through a bag of feed every couple days. So for now I am going to cull the largest of these and send them to freezer camp.

What I would like to do is to grow the flock to about 120 birds, harvesting 100 birds per year in the fall for family meat needs. The rest would be for starting a flock each spring, for eggs and meat the following year. Curious to know what others are doing as far as how they sustainably manage their flocks throughout the year.

Is using chicken tractors a preferable option, vs constructing a larger coop, through winter? How do the birds get space to run? I can move tractors every day to give the birds new grass, but it is time consuming. A big coop that is dry/enclosed/under roof MIGHT be an option in the winter, however. Curious what folks' thoughts are.

When do people doing similar to my plan cull? When to people incubate eggs? What months/recurring plan?

My plan is to donate overages to charity. My hope is to have robust egg and meat production, and to grow the operation over time.

Last edited:
I’m in the PNW so feel the mud and muck part of this, but am sure our challenges are not quite the same :/ .
I can say that, if you plan to keep at this long term, I do personally recommend constructing an insulated coop w a maintainable floor-
I have some floors that are wood (like, 2x12 planks, not pressure treated so the birds don’t have those toxins in their world- but I do clean daily to make sure they also don’t have mold and other grossness to be exposed to in exchange....), some that are wood with snap together vinyl planks over the top, some that are paving stones over gravel....
some hoop coops covered w tarps/ not insulated, some proper sheds that are insulated and have plywood as interior sheathing... All coops have attached runs for the daytime; we have many predators up here. We also have “ranging” pens and free range areas for our different flocks. They do go through less commercial feed when they can go find grass/ worms/ bugs/ etc- but you have to also consider “range feed” against nutrient deficiency possibilities and adjust your feed plan to account for the differences...
It kind of comes down to balancing your plans (long term) against your budget, versus how much time and effort you can offer to keep them safe in the coldest and hottest times of the year - and doing the best you can.

I don’t have to provide heaters for the water founts in the insulated buildings here. I only need a fan and a good sized, opening window, esp in the heat. I actually have some screened, opening windows from storm doors that have hardware cloth on the outside as windows in those buildings and they work great both for ventilation- as well as keeping the predators out (w the hardware cloth)

I do have to provide the “water heaters” in the hoop coops, plus more roosting options to protect feet from freezing on very cold nights in the non insulated coops.

Hope that helps.... pls feel free to lmk if there is anything else I might be able to answer for you!

Last edited:
You don't need an insulated coop even in winter because you live in Missouri. I live in Michigan and don't insulate.

Watch Justin Rhodes on YouTube.com, or go to his website. One thing he does is grow black soldier flies to supplement the chickens. He also has a large compost pile for them to dig around in. Lots of methods.

Instead of moving a chicken tractor around (he has those also) if you have a pasture for them, would be to move the coop around the pasture. You wouldn't have to move it every day.

I guess you now know not to buy chicks late.

If you get a really fine rooster (show quality) and a couple of really fine hens, you can breed a better chick than you can buy from a larger hatchery. It cost me $200 to buy a magnificent rooster and hen. The comparison from hatchery and show home is incredible. Stick with one breed that will work for you. If you get hens that tend to go broody, you won't have to also incubate the chicks yourself. Let them hatch out their chicks, then collect the eggs so you don't get more when you don't want them.

Please keep us posted.

When I first started, I was kind of like you - all or go home. Not that I ever came anywhere close to 120 head, but you really don't need that. You don't need 100 birds all at one time to feed your family. You need a few ready to harvest all year long. Personally I am not a big fan of a dual purpose bird for meat, unless it is a casserole or soup.

For feeding a family, you really cannot do better than the fast growing meat birds. I get a dozen, harvest them over 3 weeks. A couple a week. The bigger ones go first, which reduces the feed consumption as the rest finish up. It is not quite such a big job, and it is easier on your freezer. I am moving more towards, meat birds and egg layers. Once I read that dual purpose birds are not real great layers, and not that great of meat, and I agree.

Even if you keep with the dual purpose birds, hatching out several times a year, harvesting several times a year, is the way to go. Ridgerunner does this and he overwinters 7-8 birds, and then starts hatching.

The easiest way to reduce the feed bill, is to reduce the numbers what ever way you see fit. Point of lay birds are easy to sell. I think you could get by with a lot less birds and still meet your families needs.

Mrs K

I think the conversation is leading to a fairly obvious question-
How many people are you feeding?
A couple has very different needs than a family w grandparents/ additional adults, and/ or a handful (or more) of kiddos/ teenagers -

Back
Top Bottom