Llama thread anyone?

Puddin Fluff

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 30, 2012
River Valley, AR
Okay, I know you are out there!!! I am sure there are some of you who have Llamas and want to talk about them. We are getting our first pair on Sunday: two ladies; Lady Hawk & Sonora and hopefully they will be mama Llamas this time next year if all goes as expected.

I promise pics as soon as they arrive.

Good luck! Post pics! Here is a pic of one of my llamas, my camel and my horse.

Pretty pretty!

BTW on the other thread you mentioned worming esp. if you have deer that pass through. How often do you worm and what product do you use?

Injectable Ivermectin or Dectomax. I have used the Ivermec horse paste too but they tend to spit some out and you are never sure how much they got.

The girls have arrived!!!!

Lady Hawk (white) & Sonora (brown).

They are adjusting to their new home. They are not so sure about their new people, however
sad.png

They are staying just away from us. Time & patience I hopefully soon they will be eating out of our hands.
love.gif

Yes, they are enjoying the pasture but not us
sad.png
. They are a bit freaked out by the move and being taken away from their herd. We can't get near them right now. Unfortunatly we didn't have a small pen to put them in to adjust so they are free on 13 acres and we get to watch them. We go out and walk toward them but stop when they get antsi. we are offering feed but they are too freaked out right now.

Any additional suggestions on making friends?

Sad to say that is typical llama behavior. They are aloof and independent. Best way to at least get them to approach and eat from your hand is a smaller catch area but since you already released them it will just take a lot of time. They don't need you for treats or food since they have it all on the 13 acres. If you wanted a snuggly lovable pet you should have gotten mini donkeys, goats or a camel. :) I would say llamas would be one of the hardest first time pet additions unless you just want lawn mowers and don't care about handling them.

Well I know they don't need feed but aparently the folks before used it to help draw them in and they seem to enjoy the different tastes I guess. We don't necessarly want them to be snuggly but we would like to be able to catch them to check their health, etc. since they are both possibly pregnant and will certainly need to be clipped again next spring. We had a small pen set up to put them in but the day they came home it was almost 90 degrees and the pen is not shaded and I was afraid that they would overheat so we made the decision to just let them free. I am just surprised that they are not more curious about what we are doing and want to be more on our end of the pasture. They seem more intrigued with the cows across the street. I guess that is just herd mentality.
th.gif

We have plans on covering the pen but didn't plan on getting it done before they came because we weren't expecting it to be so hot so soon. Of course today our hi is supposed to be 50. Crazy spring weather. Guess we'll just be visiting with the llamas for while from afar.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom