Local backyard ducklings or breeder (metzer etc) ducklings

I've ordered geese through MPC and they shipped out of California, so obviously they come from Metzer. I only had one deceased in the 3 orders, otherwise they are all healthy. I am also in Wisconsin.

I got my original 6 from Metzer and 4 years later only have one from that group. Granted, 3 were pekins, who seem to have shorter lifespans, but I know people on this forum who have ducks that live well into their teens. I'm not sure if the short lifespan of my ducks was just bad luck - though I protected them from predators and doted on them with every attention possible - or was due to being hatchery stock. I've continued to order from Metzer and have ten ducks now so it's just a matter of time to see if these different breeds live longer.

I got my original 6 from Metzer and 4 years later only have one from that group. Granted, 3 were pekins, who seem to have shorter lifespans, but I know people on this forum who have ducks that live well into their teens. I'm not sure if the short lifespan of my ducks was just bad luck - though I protected them from predators and doted on them with every attention possible - or was due to being hatchery stock. I've continued to order from Metzer and have ten ducks now so it's just a matter of time to see if these different breeds live longer.
I have 2 Rouen Ducks that are 6 years old now bought by my former boss from TSC. My Mallard Hens are 3 years old that were shipped from California at Metzer's all the way to Ohio. It was a warm time of the year, June and I think that helps when they don't get chilled. I have been blessed that all of mine have been healthy no matter where they came from.

Back
Top Bottom