Local backyard ducklings or breeder (metzer etc) ducklings

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Looking to add to my flock next spring. My original 6 came from Metzer because I wanted to ensure I only had one drake.
I'd like to get ducklings again so I can raise them myself again but not sure how I should go about it. I still have my drake so I only want hens. Although all the ducklings I got made it, 1 had a seizure disorder (a fox got her this summer), one had a bad immune system or something and passed after about a year due to some unknown infection/disease, and one had a crooked spine (and probably a little special needs, she's real derpy) but otherwise healthy and happy.

It sure if 50% is a good number or not for ducklings... Do people have better genetics with ducks they get locally from people who have backyard flocks or small local breeders?

I do not want to incubate my own as an fyi.

Looking to add to my flock next spring. My original 6 came from Metzer because I wanted to ensure I only had one drake.
I'd like to get ducklings again so I can raise them myself again but not sure how I should go about it. I still have my drake so I only want hens. Although all the ducklings I got made it, 1 had a seizure disorder (a fox got her this summer), one had a bad immune system or something and passed after about a year due to some unknown infection/disease, and one had a crooked spine (and probably a little special needs, she's real derpy) but otherwise healthy and happy.

It sure if 50% is a good number or not for ducklings... Do people have better genetics with ducks they get locally from people who have backyard flocks or small local breeders?

I'd suggest you look on Facebook, there are always people trying to get rid of ducklings and I'm sure there are lots of breeders that will ship day old ducklings.

I have found hatchery stock to be healthy. Sometimes things do go wrong. I'm not sure if you bought privately you would be able to get them sexed until they were older, so it may depend on what you are looking for as far as age and breeds.

I have had good luck ordering online with Metzer Farms. I also have had good luck with Rural King. I have bought six from there, two at a time at different times and all has been well. I did get one slightly crested but it was still fine. Unfortunately a predator got it and its partner at 3 weeks of age. I went and got two more, a Mallard Runner and a Fawn and White Runner from Rural King and they are doing well also. I am in Ohio and Craigslist has a large selection this time of year of ducks and ducklings as most people do not want to take care of them during our winters. I have gotten ducklings from Craigslist three different times and all was well with those too. I also got some young Duck Hens from Craigslist that were only 3 months old and some Call Drakes that were 3 months old and they too were perfectly healthy. Good luck with your decision on where you get them.

I have found hatchery stock to be healthy. Sometimes things do go wrong. I'm not sure if you bought privately you would be able to get them sexed until they were older, so it may depend on what you are looking for as far as age and breeds.
Hmm. Maybe I just go unlucky... it I did something wrong. They are my first set of ducks afterall. I feel like I did a lot of research on raising them and overall did a good job but maybe I missed something despite it all.

I know that some hatcheries do not have their own ducklings but get them from others. I think that delay makes them weaker by the time they get to their customers. I have only dealt with Metzer farms and had great luck. Coming from California at the time as that was their only place to Ohio but in early summer which I think has a lot to do with it. Some people have gotten them once it starts to get cold and not had much luck from different places. I am sorry you had problems with yours. Things do happen and hopefully you can find some that are healthy. Metzer has a place in Tennessee now that they ship out of too which is where mine would more than likely come from if I decide to order more.

I know that some hatcheries do not have their own ducklings but get them from others. I think that delay makes them weaker by the time they get to their customers. I have only dealt with Metzer farms and had great luck. Coming from California at the time as that was their only place to Ohio but in early summer which I think has a lot to do with it. Some people have gotten them once it starts to get cold and not had much luck from different places. I am sorry you had problems with yours. Things do happen and hopefully you can find some that are healthy. Metzer has a place in Tennessee now that they ship out of too which is where mine would more than likely come from if I decide to order more.
Good to know. I actually ordered the ducks through a place in Ohio since it was closer to Wisconsin. And then they shipped from California. When I inquired, they said they go through Metzer. So I was quite annoyed and gave them lowered reviews for it since it wasn't stated clearly on their website. The duckies all arrived happy and healthy - except Darla was runty and was a bit dumb but outside of her spinal disformaty is very happy and healthy lol.

I may try them again if most people don't have issues though.

I know someone that just ordered her Runner Ducks from there and they are all healthy and doing well. I do like Metzer Farms even though they forgot to pinion my Mallard ducklings I got from them 3 years ago. I would use them again. I have gotten a total of 6 ducklings different times from Rural King and they get theirs from Hoover's Hatchery. They were all healthy too. One was crested and I did not want a crested one but unfortunately a predator got it.

Back
Top Bottom