Metzer Surprise?

That is definitely a gosling!! The bill shape is a dead-giveaway. How’d he get in there? You’ll need to get ‘em another goose friend if you plan on keeping the big guy.
Glad to know I’m not losing it! I got them last second before I went into work and I just kinda went “huh okay” and then looked closer when I finally got home and decided something is definitely not matching up.

I have had both goslings and Pekins, you my friend have a gosling, someone at metzer screwed up your order. You need to call them. and yes, please get another gosling…. If you’re keeping this one. perhaps they’ll ship you two more goslings along with who knows what maybe an emu this time!
It was just thrown in there! I got all the little babes I ordered and then some… I know wild geese are mate birds, is it better to wait and know the gender of this little one and try and find one of the opposite or just get another one asap?

I already have a small zoo including a tortoise, geckos, spiders, a bearded dragon, my two pups, and my flock of now 22 - what harm would an emu do 🤣

That is definitely a gosling!! The bill shape is a dead-giveaway. How’d he get in there? You’ll need to get ‘em another goose friend if you plan on keeping the big guy.
If it is a gosling- and I’m not at all saying that it is not... you are likely going to have to order more than one more from any of the commercial hatcheries.
I’ve had shipping losses and have been offered a discount on the next minimum shipping order....and usually take the credit bc I don’t usually want another 6 (or 15, depending on the hatchery)

My recommendation would be to either wait for it to get old enough that we can help you figure out what it is (if you prefer to sell it), post it for sale, or, check Craigslist to find another gosling if you would like to keep it and provide it w a friend or two...

I’m not a fan of geese, personally, soooo
Unless they accidentally sent me a Sebastopol.... (which that is not)
I’d be looking to re home it, and get a refund for the miss.

Aww why do people not like geese? that baby is adorable and will do fine being raised with your ducklings actually will think it is a duck. lol I had an Embedn hatched by my Muscovy he loved them ducks so much was always good to them as long as they were females. lol Mine turned out to be a gander and he was with us almost 15 yrs. I did finally get him a mate when he was 5 yrs old but that is another story.
I would give the little one a chance. ❤️

That is definitely a gosling. Most probably an Embden but maybe a Sebastopol or male Pilgrim. And if it is an Embden, from the color it is probably a male. I am not sure how this mistake could have been made as our goslings and ducklings are on opposite sides of our shipping room. But mistakes do happen and I apologize. He will think himself a duck until convinced otherwise. Occasionally we have customers receive birds we don't even hatch so maybe this is what happened here. If a bird gets loose in a postal facility, all they can do is stick it into the nearest box - hence black chicks ending up in our boxes. But, how often does a gosling slip out of a box? Not too frequently. He will be leader of the group - and I believe geese are by far the smartest poultry - he will be entertaining, too. Enjoy!

That is definitely a gosling. Most probably an Embden but maybe a Sebastopol or male Pilgrim. And if it is an Embden, from the color it is probably a male. I am not sure how this mistake could have been made as our goslings and ducklings are on opposite sides of our shipping room. But mistakes do happen and I apologize. He will think himself a duck until convinced otherwise. Occasionally we have customers receive birds we don't even hatch so maybe this is what happened here. If a bird gets loose in a postal facility, all they can do is stick it into the nearest box - hence black chicks ending up in our boxes. But, how often does a gosling slip out of a box? Not too frequently. He will be leader of the group - and I believe geese are by far the smartest poultry - he will be entertaining, too. Enjoy!
No apologies needed! I’ve always had an incredible experience with Metzer farms and this is one of them, intentional or not! Little Goose has quite the personality and will make a lovely addition to my flock, so will the bonus duckling! 💕

Okay y’all, time to break this down.
I currently have a large adult mixed flock consisting of Cayuga's, Silver apple-yard, Black Swedish, Fawn and White Runners, a Rouen, and Khakis. I’m no stranger to the duck world.

I had five female blue runners ordered from Metzer farms scheduled to ship in May, but I had a broody momma that hatched only one egg, so I had them ship sooner so it wouldn’t be alone. They did say their runners were having a hard time with transit this year so they were going to add in a few extra babes just incase. I got my cheeping package this morning, which had six living birds in it with one that had passed from the journey…

All five of my blue runners are beautiful and doing incredible. There is a bonus little black duckling that I am assuming is a black runner based on its size (all of my previous Cayuga babes were a lot bigger), and this giant flippin’ yellow baby…. and I’m not even kidding y’all, I think it’s a goose.

I just need some outside opinions on if I am looking at a gosling or just a really large duckling 🤣 View attachment 3779173View attachment 3779174View attachment 3779175
You lucky duck-lady! Landing a goose. If you havent found a taker, and are near Maine at all- I will take you sweet goose! Tried to order Welshes and Appleyards and resulted in losses in shipping and credits too...(not Metzer) Never so lucky to get an extra goose tho. Enjoy :D

Back
Top Bottom