sady___

Chirping
Feb 21, 2023
WYO
I’m truly stumped.
//Backstory
This spring we let my broody fawn and white runner sit on a nest, producing two eggs around three days till hatch. The eggs were taken out of the coup and put in an incubator due to their being Drakes, but sadly only one egg ended up hatching, producing a gorgeous little baby.
IMG_7865.jpeg

I’m pretty sure it’s an egg of my other fawn and white runner that has attached herself to my loving Cayuga drake, making this a runner x cayuga cross.
The first two weeks this babe was alone with its sole interaction being humans, but we decided to see if we could push our Metzers order scheduled for May earlier so it would have bird friends, not just us. In this order was five blue female blue runners, and a surprise black duckling and a surprise Gosling… yep. After a slow introduction they’re somewhat taking a liking to each other with the occasional “older sibling” nip.

Now the problem//
This isn’t my first set of ducklings. I supplement these babies with niacin and a tad bit of protein just because their food is only at 18%. They have a 6’x4’ enclosure with pine shavings as a base. At four weeks old Sunday, there are no other bad symptoms heath wise in my runnerXcayuga cross other than the fact it just does not like to do, well anything… It will get up, move around, eat and drink, and clean itself after baths no problem, but it just wants to either be laying down or doing the typical runner “sit on their haunches” pose. They all get frequent baths and with the food/supplement being right, I’m just at a point where I’m curious if it could be its breeding?
IMG_8304.jpeg

IMG_8274.jpeg

(cross babe, gosling, blue runner babe)
What do yall think?
Bonus pictures of last nights cuddle puddle with 3/8 of the babes

Sure sounds like it got more of the Cayuga genes than the Runner genes lol.

If it is eating well and other wise acting normal [well normal as a duckling/duck can act] then it is probably just this ones personality
They sure are precious!!

Sure sounds like it got more of the Cayuga genes than the Runner genes lol.

If it is eating well and other wise acting normal [well normal as a duckling/duck can act] then it is probably just this ones personality
They sure are precious!!
My little blues run laps around the thing I swear! I’m quick to worry with with them, especially this one because it’s beyond attached to us and it’s the sweetest baby. Good to hear your thoughts on this one and thank you! 💕

My Runners run and most of the time in a straight line while my Buffs bring up the rear and my only sweet little Cayuga bring up the rear rear. She is never in a hurry. I love all the personalties of the breeds.

Back
Top Bottom