Introducing Ducklings to Drakes

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I see several questions like this on here but no definitive answers.

I currently have five khaki Campbell ducks: two drakes and three hens. The two drakes do chase each other and fight a little but nothing overly aggressive. One female hangs with the more aggressive drake, and two females hang with the less aggressive drake when they're free-ranging.

Anyway, I'm planning to get four female ducklings in the next week or two to hopefully calm things down a bit in the future. Learning towards Welsh Harlequins, though if my local Tractor Supply has female ducklings when I go next week, I may just get whatever breed they have.

At what age can I put the ducklings in with the drakes? I do think the more aggressive one will try to mate with them immediately or claim them for his own since he's really only got one lady at the moment.

I currently have five khaki Campbell ducks: two drakes and three hens. The two drakes do chase each other and fight a little but nothing overly aggressive. One female hangs with the more aggressive drake, and two females hang with the less aggressive drake when they're free-ranging.

Anyway, I'm planning to get four female ducklings in the next week or two to hopefully calm things down a bit in the future. Learning towards Welsh Harlequins, though if my local Tractor Supply has female ducklings when I go next week, I may just get whatever breed they have.

At what age can I put the ducklings in with the drakes? I do think the more aggressive one will try to mate with them immediately or claim them for his own since he's really only got one lady at the moment.
the little girls need to be close to egg laying age so around 5 months old perhaps a couple weeks sooner but not earlier than that

the little girls need to be close to egg laying age so around 5 months old perhaps a couple weeks sooner but not earlier than that
Thank you! Now to figure out what to do with them for that long! lol. I have a large dog pen inside my run, but my more aggressive male and his female (who is a bit timid) stay in it a lot of the time.

What Jenbirdee said :goodpost:
Some sweeter drakes will be good with ducklings earlier, I know mine were, but the safe-zone really is closer to 4 - 5 months. They can be in a see-no-touch zone until then.
Thanks. My more docile drake would probably be fine, but the aggressive one will definitely go after them, I think. He will go after anything that moves. :rolleyes:

TSC does not sell sexed ducklings. You could end up with a lot more drakes. The only way I have ever gotten female ducklings for sure was when I ordered online from Metzer Farms. I got my two Mallards that way a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom