Local breeders in or around Austin tx?

wanttobefarmer

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Elgin, TX
Just looking for some local breeders in or around Austin Tx. I bought my first 15 chickens from Callahans General Store. They have all been great with no losses, but I know they came from Mac Murray and I'd like to find a local breeder. thanks

Not a breeder but a hatchery I think but X-Treme Gamebirds and Poultry is there in Elgin. I haven't ordered from them and right now their web sight is down. Don't know much about them. They did have a good selection of birds though. You could probably look them up in the phone book and go on over and see them.

X-Treme has relocated out of Elgin. I'm not sure where to. Their site is now "under construction".

If your interested in Bourbon Red Turkeys X-Treme sold their breeders to a couple out of Taylor. If your interested I'll get you in contact with them. They also sell meat birds.

I will be selling heritage breeds but not for a year or two. I'm still a rookie and with my hatchings to date, the roosters to hen ratio is pretty bad. Out of twenty hatchlings, 16 roosters and 4 hens. I still have another 20 but they are too young to determine sex. Plus I've still got a lot to learn.

There is/was a chicken group out of Austin. At one time it was public but now it is private in the sense you have to join (no money). I lost the web site link when my computer failed a while back.

Around April there was an "Austin - Funky chicken coop tour". Here is a link: http://fccooptour.blogspot.com/. You may find some leads.

Here is a link to "Allen Wranch" a BYC moderator regarding the Coop Tour. If you contact him directly he may be more able to point you to Austin breeders.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104453

You
can also try craiglook.com but it is hard to determine if they are quality breeders.

Good luck. Ron

Last edited:
Ideal Farms is in Cameron, TX on Hwy 36 east of Temple. Their farm is on Hwy 36 on the west side of Cameron a few miles near Buckholts. Very large farm and chicken houses out there but you arent allowed on the premises for obvious biosecurity reasons.
Their hatchery and offices and shipping department are downtown Cameron right across from the courthouse. Been there many times when I had Jury Duty at the courthouse.
From Austin, it is about an hour and a half drive approximately. They are in our district again next year so I will be visiting Cameron again in the near future.
Before Ideal came about there was another large hatchery in Cameron but it was called Hornung Brothers.
Just some fyi history on a boring sunday night haha..

Last edited:
I am in SAN ANTONIO TX
thumbsup.gif

we breed localy but up near dallas, all we do is buff orphns and black astro... I do travel often to the brenham area to see my mother in law if you are intrested we could meet up, all of our chickens are free range and fed unmedicated feed... all proceeds from our chicken sales so to support our non profit horse rescue
De
[email protected]

I'm north of SA just outside of Bandra. I started my chicken yard about a year ago, but I'm down to zero now. I was doing pretty good, till chicken stupidity, dogs and ranch varmints decimated my flock! There is a lady on the other side town that sells chickens of different ages, so I have a choice of not just babies. The 4 young hens I got from her lasted the longest, so when I mega secure the pen & run, I'll go back to her for some 6 month old hens.

Back
Top Bottom