Local Co-op milled feed

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
I found a co-op about an hour from me that makes their own layer feed as well as selling the commercial feed. So I thought for the savings I would try a few bags. I had someone who was going that way pick me up 3 bags.

I was so disappointed when I opened my first bag. It was ground up so fine I felt I was feeding them powder. My mistake was not getting more information about it before I bought it. I was just so excited because I was saving at least $6.00 a bag over my local co-op layer feed price.

They are wasting so much of this. I won't make this mistake again.

What you received is a mash feed, you feed mash a little different that a crumble or a pellet.
When you feed a mash feed you will want to dampen the feed just till it binds a little.

Chris

I get layer mash from my local feed store and it's mix of mash and pieces i usually mix it with hen scratch and everyone seems to love it. I have found that they eat it as fast as the crumbles and i don't have as much waste

What you received is a mash feed, you feed mash a little different that a crumble or a pellet.
When you feed a mash feed you will want to dampen the feed just till it binds a little.

Chris

Of course, dampening makes the feed vulnerable to molding so you don't put several days' worth into a tube feeder the way you might with crumbles or pellets. A trough feeder is better suited for moistened feed.

And yes, chickens love moistened feed but some of them do not care for dry mash at all. My folks tried putting dry mash in a tube feeder and ended up with more feed on the floor than anywhere else. I'm sure the chickens had a great time scooping it out but it was a huge amount of waste.

Last edited:
I rarely wet my mash, only if they leave too much powder behind and then I give it to them in a bowl. Do the large operations wet mash for their chickens? I would doubt it. I am now trying Chris 09's method though & only giving them enough for the day. They clean up the residual pretty well, instead of only eating the grain. I know if I give them fish meal separately, they clean that up real quick.

I did the same thing, bought feed from a mill and went "what the heck is this?" when I opened the bag. I did wet it up to make the chickens eat it until I got through the bags.. then I went back to crumble. I'd probably get the mash again to try it one more time if the mill wasn't far enough away to eat up the savings in gas.

I did the same thing, bought feed from a mill and went "what the heck is this?" when I opened the bag. I did wet it up to make the chickens eat it until I got through the bags.. then I went back to crumble. I'd probably get the mash again to try it one more time if the mill wasn't far enough away to eat up the savings in gas.

I've done the SAME thing. I now use a layer crumble from a local feed store. Cheaper than TSC and not so dusty.

I've done the SAME thing. I now use a layer crumble from a local feed store. Cheaper than TSC and not so dusty.

I went to agway since it was only $2 more/bag than the feed mill, came in crumbles and they deliver free to my house. Can't beat that. :p

My chickens did eat the mash, but they didn't seem too thrilled until I wet it into a mushy mess. :)

You didn't pick up the feed yourself. Did you ask if they sell pelletized feed? Many mills do, but you have to specify what form you want the feed in. Perhaps your friend asked for the wrong thing?

I guess if I go back I will call and ask if they have crumbles. It was the 17% layer and that is what I told him I wanted. So it is really my fault for not checking into it further. I guess I could also try to wet it down a little. I only feed enough for a day so getting moldy shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom