Local pond ducks observation

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So recently went to local pond to help with my brother and their small children. Part of the excitement was for them to see the pond ducks (and compare them to ours).

I noticed right away the pond ducks were much smaller and thinner than my ducks.

I wondered why?

I guess that some of this is that they don't get grain when living on the pond. But do they get enough food in the ponds to sustain themselves? And if they aren't getting grain I'm curious how well they survive? (This pond doesn't have snapping turtles, etc... although it did have seagulls and even a couple of geese.)

The pond ducks were more wary than normal ducks. And they appeared to be a few aylesburies or white layers and the rest being traditional wild mallards. The mallards could fly, and it was amazing to see how high and far they could fly, when we saw them do so.

From my personal understanding (not claiming to be completely knowledgeable and have all the information) wild Mallards are a bit different than domestic Mallards. The wild ones are smaller I believe because they need to be small to survive and fly. Domestic ducks are bred selectively for egg laying.

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

In my neck of the woods we have a local pond where people abandon their unwanted ducks every year. Most die due to predation or are killed intentionally/unintentionally by people. Those that survive that usually die of starvation during the winter when people stop visiting the pond to feed them. I imagine this is true pretty much everywhere.

Domesticated animals have no place out in the wild. They are far removed from their wild counterparts.

interestingly enough a buddy called me about a duckling he saw abandoned at said pond this morning. I went and retrieved him. More than likely he wouldn’t have survived a few nights. Poor little guys flight feathers hasn’t even come in yet. 9EC77A1A-A919-4E62-9FB7-D6B40CD842D5.png

In my neck of the woods we have a local pond where people abandon their unwanted ducks every year. Most die due to predation or are killed intentionally/unintentionally by people. Those that survive that usually die of starvation during the winter when people stop visiting the pond to feed them. I imagine this is true pretty much everywhere.

Domesticated animals have no place out in the wild. They are far removed from their wild counterparts.

interestingly enough a buddy called me about a duckling he saw abandoned at said pond this morning. I went and retrieved him. More than likely he wouldn’t have survived a few nights. Poor little guys flight feathers hasn’t even come in yet. View attachment 2639278
Lucky little duck is a beauty! Thank you for taking this one in and caring for it. You're awesome

interestingly enough a buddy called me about a duckling he saw abandoned at said pond this morning. I went and retrieved him. More than likely he wouldn’t have survived a few nights. Poor little guys flight feathers hasn’t even come in yet. View attachment 2639278
I have a brother that this guy reminds me of.

Back
Top Bottom