Loch Ness Monster

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chasing ducks, Aug 5, 2010.

1. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I learned something last night that I thought would make an interesting subject so I'm going to post it here. The theory of the origin of the Loch Ness monster "Nessie" is that it is a plesiosaurus that survived the ice age. Now I know chickens are closely related to dinosaurs and I know that you can store a chicken egg at the right temperatures for a few weeks before incubation. Has anyone ever tried to freeze a chicken egg to extend the time before incubation? While highly unlikely, what if some theorists are right and everything froze instantly and killed the dinosaurs, trapping eggs in the ice and preserved the fertilized egg till everything melted and the egg was warmed enough to hatch? I'm not sure I believe this theory but it does definitely make for an interesting thought.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    How odd, my son and I were having the same conversation last night! Not sure if its possible but they can do it with fertile human eggs ( obviously they don't have a shell though, lol ). [​IMG]

3. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Pedant Mode = ON

Plesiosaurs are (or rather were) NOT dinosaurs; dinosaurs were the ancestors of modern birds, plesiosaurs were much more like modern lizards.

Plesiosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago, at about the same time as most species alive at time went extinct; the end of the Cretaceous period.

Loch Ness was formed about 10,000 years ago as the ice sheets covering Northern Europe retreated and glaciers dug into a natural fault line.

Since the end of the cretaceous period there has only been one major ice age and that started about 2.5million years ago, that means that 'Nessie' had to have survived (and presumably reproduced) for some 63.5 million years BEFORE somehow getting frozen on dry land at the top of a mountain and then slowly thawed out over millions of years until she found herself at the bottom of the newly formed Loch Ness.

Pedant Mode = OFF

But we all know that science can get it wrong and that down in the deep, murky depths of Loch Ness there lies a monster with a tam o'shanter hat on [​IMG]

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sure it's a spoof but, it's cute with their loch ness web cam and all.

6. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    We have our own "Loch Ness" in Canada - Ogopogo supposedly lives in the Okanagan lake in British Columbia. There's a really steep drive down into the area and you can see straight over the lake. We always stop there with the kids to look out over the lake for Ogopogo.

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    We have our own "Loch Ness" in Canada

Funny you should say that, because if I remember rightly the rock on the north side of Loch Ness is Jurassic and the rock on the South side is Precambrian, about 500 million years of a difference.
    I remember watching a program that suggested that the middle of Scotland (south of Loch Ness but north of Glasgow) was made of the same rock as Alaska (which isn't, geologically speaking, too far from BC). Maybe they live in the rocks ! Maybe it's the same one and it's got a tunnel !

Loch Ness is a beautiful place to visit and Scotland has some lovely scenery but as they say in Scotland "You can have all four seasons in one day; autumn, winter, spring and winter"
    To be honest you are more likely to see Nessie than you are to see sunshine. [​IMG]

8. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:haha I went back to see! How fun is that XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by