lock down question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dandydoodle, Feb 9, 2012.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    We had a hawk try to take our roo last Thursday. We have been in lock down ever since. I started to let them free range yesterday looked up and there was to hawks swarming over our house. How long do you usually have to stay in lockdown before a hawk forgets about your chickens and moves on.

Thanks,
    MIchelle

2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    anyone?

3. Stitchbug

Stitchbug New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern California
    HI there,

We have tons of Red Tailed hawks in the valley I live in and I free range over 155 laying hens. I have found that having Ancona's atleast help in that they alert the whole flock of a potentially predatious avian threat allowing them to seek shelter. As for how long you need to stay on lock down I would think, once moring comes the hawk will have likely moved on--they get hungry and are not known for sitting around waiting for the prey to come to them--unless---this hawk has been hanging around frequently, a common behavior for females when they have a nest is to hang around or find a dependable source of prey with which to feed their young. But, dpenedning on where you are located and the type of hawk you are dealing with, I would say that nesting time is a while off. Do you still see the hawk?

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    It happened last Thursday. Then I saw a hawk fly overheard that seemed to be searching on Sunday. I was gonna let them free range again last night but, as soon as I went out there was two hawks flying back and forth over my yard. I have heard that about them eating in the morning and then being full. This hawk did its attempt at about 5 o clock in the afternoon and when I went out to let them free range it was about three. So so far I know they have been around at 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00. I have a great roo too, he is a great alarm system. I figure that was what he was doing last Thursday. He lost a chunk of saddle feathers I am sure he was standing giving off the siren to get the girls to safety. I don't want to lose him either though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michelle

5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Does anyone know how long before I can let them back out???? They have been locked up a little over a week now. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When I am having problems with migratory hawks killing my pigeons, I wait a week before allowing the birds to fly. If the hawk is a resident, your birds are shafted. After a week I would consideer free ranging your birds but only under direct supervsion.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Try getting some bottle rockets. The pop up where they're flying scatters them pretty well.
    How big is your range. Some line with streamers or CDs stretched overhead distracts the hawks.

It won't help right now but I agree with Stitchbug. More alert breeds fare much better.
    I've seen fox run right up and grab a free ranging BO and Rock before the bird even knew there was something there. I saw hawks grab a buttercup roo and a wyandotte pullet before they knew what hit them.
    I have 2 flocks with Black Penedesenca roosters. One flock is all penes and the other is a mix of breeds. Those two flocks free range all day and we have lots of hawks.
    The roos alert the hens long before the hawks arrive and they run for cover.
    The last time one swooped the roo kicked its @$$ and it hasn't been back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by