Lock 'em down!

Orange Ribbon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
I just know everyone has been waiting with great anticipation to hear that I am in lockdown, so.... I'm in lockdown!
woot.gif

Okay, I know it isn't really that exciting, but I like to write stuff too.
big_smile.png

Got 22 eggs into lockdown today. 3 of them are Speckled Sussex, the rest are mystery eggs just taken out of the egg basket. I have about 7 different breeds of hens running around right now with 2 Barred Rock roosters and an Ameracana rooster, so it's a toss up. I keep the Speckled Sussex separated so I know they are pure bred. I'll be separating the various breeds later on, but this is mainly just a test to see if I can finally get something to hatch since my first try was a disaster. Well, it is also a test to see how my homemade incubator works out. I hope they all make it, but I really, really hope the SS will.
fl.gif

smile.png
I'm with ya! Locked down on Wednesday and already have a chick tonight...which I need to figure out why she hatched so quickly! No other pips or zips.
I've got 9 more Dominiques to go plus 10 Cuckoo Marans
pop.gif

The days on this batch went by better than the days of my first try, but yeah, it still seems to take forever. Thanks for the good lucks. Cherstin and discoveregg, I hope all goes well with your hatches too. Give me a shout back here as to how they are doing.
smile.png

I have had chicks hatch on the day I go into lockdown. I think it is because I store my eggs at room temperature so some my eggs may start to develop before I put them in the incubator.

I was getting ready to go to bed, but I can't sleep now. The second thing that popped into my mind was, "I got to get on BYC and tell everybody!" I hope somebody reads this.
big_smile.png

A baby chick just chirped inside the egg!!!
wee.gif

Humidity was getting a little low, so warmed up some water and was pouring it in as quickly as I could when I heard it. At first I thought, "Daggone, there is a mouse in the wall behind the incubator." Then it dawned on me, it is a chick!
celebrate.gif
Oh, man, now I'm excited. I know there is one live one at least. Oh, I sure hope everything comes out okay. Sunday is hatch day. I wonder if one is cheeping if it could hatch early?

I locked down a few eggs myself today, 2 light sussex, 1 delaware, 4 golden laced wyandottes and 1 mystery. I don't hear any chirps but I can see the eggs wiggling around. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom