Lockdown Hatching Containers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GeoKan, May 22, 2011.

1. GeoKan

GeoKan Cackleberry Curator

Mar 9, 2011
    Troy, Kansas
    It's getting close to lockdown for me and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on what containers they use, if any, to put your eggs in during lockdown to hatch in.

My DW thinks that using this egg container would make it difficult for newly hatch chicks to maneuver out of. Plus, she thinkst the plastic is too ridged and might cause some harm to the chick. I can see her point. If a chick hatches out in the middle, would they eventually find their way across the plastic egg container? Has anyone used one of these to hatch from? It looks like it's designed to do this.

[​IMG]

Right now I have both foam and paper cartons arrange like this for lockdown. Since I have exactly 30 eggs, I would prefer using the one carton pictured above. I'm hoping they'll be able to find their way out and migrate to the edge so they can roam around the outside of the carton leaving unhatched eggs relatively undisturbed. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi,
    I have used the big 30 egg paper carton flats to hatch eggs with no problem.
    My only concern with what you are showing there is the off chance that a chick could get it's foot or leg through one of those holes.
    Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by