Lockdown Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCRZYness, Oct 4, 2010.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I have a little giant incubator from tractor supply with an auto turner and on day 18 when I take out the incubator, should I put the eggs in a carton so there still upright like they were in the auto turner or lay them on their side in the bottom??? Didn't know if they were forming a certain way and preparing to hatch upright and by laying on their sides would mess them up? Thanks so much!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You can do it either way. I like to hatch in cartons (I cut them down for good air flow and so I can tell if anybody pips low) because it minimizes the "early birds" playing egg soccer with the late comers. I also like to put a square of rubber shelf liner (the kind that has holes) down over the wire--it gives them good footing and between the cartons and liner cleanup is super easy. Happy hatching!! [​IMG]

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I like the carton method also..I will have to try the rubber shelf liner idea that sonds GREAT!!! I also cut my egg cartons down... [​IMG]

4. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Ok I will have to try that out. I appreciate the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by