Lockdown today :-) 21/01

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tracy the chick, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Ok i set my eggs on Tuesday 3rd of january at 10.00am. Does that mean i count that as day one with setting on the morning? If it is im on day 19 now!! If i count next day as day one im only on day 18 now and will put them on lockdown.. Im new at this, i have 9 eggs in the incubater and i can see 9 babys in all of them. They are mixed marans and 1 white egg which i dont know what it is! These are shipped eggs off a very good breader..im so scared im going to kill them all! :/ ive got a brinsea 40, the instructions say i have to fill all 4 troughs for lockdown but i dont have anyway of checking the humidity. Ive had 2 troughs filled all this time. It also says have the vent just under half way.. Hope someone can help..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. JEH1984

JEH1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Asheville NC
    I didn't count the day I set my eggs as day one. I did go into lock down before I went to bed on the 18th day just to be on the safe side.. I would use warm water when you fill it up. Good luck! Keep us posted!!

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

chicken eggs set on Jan 3rd would make jan 24th day 21 (you count jan 4th as day 1)

so today, Jan 20th, would be day 17

4. yinepu

to figure "hatch day" for chickens is easy... if you set them on a tuesday.. they are due to hatch 3 weeks later (21 days) on a tueday.. somewhere on here is a hatch calendar that you can print out.. I'll look for a link for ya

here you go...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ies-and-addicts-welcome-hatch-calendar-page-1

I don't go by the notation on it where it says that if you set at morning or at night which day to use as day 1 since putting eggs in the incubator will cause the bator temp to drop.. plus with temperature fluctuations it's always better to go with the "set on a tuesday due to hatch on a tuesday rule" for simple ease of keeping track..

having said that going into lockdown a day or two early won't hurt anything

but the calendar is just easy for newbies to hatching to keep track of when they should do things [​IMG]
    once they get to know their incubator they can start to rely on how their batches hatch..whether it's a day or two early or a day or two late

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    [RIGHT[/RIGHT]
    Phew thank the lord for that! Thankyou Yinepu.:) i will keep you posted Jeh1984, i will put them on lockdown tomorrow morning:D. If i have any hatch i will post pictures too. Cant wait to see what this little white egg is! The man i got them off said its a surprise and i love surprises! I think it might be a Friesian because the mans ansesters come from the netherlands and he is one of the people who have kept the pure breeding friesian going through there original bloodlines! Or its a mutt lol. I dont care as long as it hatches and is healthy.:D:D

6. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thank you so much! Im going to have a look now..Tracy.xx

7. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Ive been and got myself the book " Keeping Chickens for Dummies".. going to read up on hatching lol..

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree.
    I don't think it's the little things like lockdown a day early or late that cause problems. It's usually things that continue throughout like inaccurate thermometers.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  9. yinepu

there is one golden rule to hatching chicks.. or ducklings .. or turkey poults.. heck any critter...

YOU MUST POST PICS !!! [​IMG]

we love them lil fuzzbutts!

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Yes, you must must must post pics when the chicks come out. I've watched your incubation, and feel invested. I'm dying to see how it all works out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by