Lockdown tomorrow! Trying something different....PICS !

VredenburgS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 15, 2009
Reed City, MI.
OK, so , I have only had one hatch in my life and it was 24 days ago. Only 6 out of 17 hatched even though I saw rocking from several of the 11 that didn't hatch. My thought is that it was due to the other 11 being rolled around too much by the chicks that had hatched. This time I am putting 4 in egg carton, 6 laying on the little round part you cut out of the bottom of the egg carton and the remaining 3 are just laying on their sides in the middle. I am hoping this will allow them all to hatch and not be rolled all over. I AM SOOOOOO NERVOUS! I started with 13 and when I candled them this morning they are all moving around in there so......
fl.gif
Any other suggestions?
44573_eggs_1.jpg

44573_eggs_2.jpg

Quote:
I'm imagining all the way upright with the pointy side down. How do you turn them from one side to the other though? Do you just spin the eggs halfway clockwise?
idunno.gif

Quote:
I'm imagining all the way upright with the pointy side down. How do you turn them from one side to the other though? Do you just spin the eggs halfway clockwise?
idunno.gif

They're in a turner for the first 18 days and then I move them into cartons for the last three so they're not being turned.

I hand turned mine day 1-18 then at lockdown I placed mine in egg cartons fat side up with a nickel sized hole cut out of the bottom of each hole. then NO TOUCHING!!
wink.png
they got a LITTLE knocked around, but 15 of 17 hatched.

here's a pic of how they hatch in cartons:
47583_chickieees_012.jpg

I've tried having them hatch on their side and in the carton. Honestly for me....I didn't notice a difference. The one thing that you might want to try (if you havent already) is to do a dry hatch. See if that works any better for you.

Back
Top Bottom