Lockdown

I also had multiple thermometer/hygrometers in there and I did calibrate them.... I had one day, after the first candling, I guess I messed up the foil baffle on the light close to the thermostat, but the temp fell for a few hours (95-97) but I caught it and made adjustments. Other than that, the temp and humidity were very stable.

I don't blame you - I would too! Many times I had lambs coming and I'd take some leave from work just so I could be home.... ya know, just in case!
wink.png

Rushed home to no ducklings. More pips, but that's it. We went out for dinner so I would stop staring. Rushed home, more pips but no ducklings. I think I'm getting more gray hair today.

This is our first time hatching. I haven't slept well for days! We are on day 23 now and out of 7, I think I see one tiny pip, but I don't even trust my eyes anymore! Yesterday, before the pip, we candled a few. I have a feeling that two of them may be duds, but the one that is pipped, we could see it working inside. I just hope we get more than one so I'm not in a frantic rush to find friends for it.

I think I may be more stressed about these chickens than I was when I had my daughter.
1f633.png
Good luck!

Last edited:
Rushed home to no ducklings. More pips, but that's it. We went out for dinner so I would stop staring. Rushed home, more pips but no ducklings. I think I'm getting more gray hair today.

LOL! Yeah, I think I developed a few more grey hairs during the last 3 weeks! - They're comin' momma, they're comin'!

This is our first time hatching. I haven't slept well for days! We are on day 23 now and out of 7, I think I see one tiny pip, but I don't even trust my eyes anymore! Yesterday, before the pip, we candled a few. I have a feeling that two of them may be duds, but the one that is pipped, we could see it working inside. I just hope we get more than one so I'm not in a frantic rush to find friends for it.

I think I may be more stressed about these chickens than I was when I had my daughter.
1f633.png
Good luck!

I just finished my first attempt.... I say attempt, because none hatched. The few that were viable became early quitters.... I did the same thing - couldn't trust my eyes!

Yes, it is stressful! I don't see how people do this back to back - I didn't sleep well the whole time, always staring at the box !
th.gif
It upended my whole life
tongue.png
And, as it turned out, for nothing! So, what did I do? I bought more eggs to try again!

I think it's more stressful than waiting for my ewes to lamb, for sure!

I never understood the hatching addiction until now! lol I feel entirely responsible for these little lives and it's making me crazy. Even my laid back husband sits in front of the incubator for hours.
1f602.png

I never understood the hatching addiction until now! lol I feel entirely responsible for these little lives and it's making me crazy. Even my laid back husband sits in front of the incubator for hours.
1f602.png

Haha i know. There is a storm here and all the surrounding towns have their power out so i am glad ours is still on because i was stressing big time if the power would turn off to my incubator!

I'm still waiting. Up and down all night, getting nothing done today.... Today is hatch day, but almost all had pipped by midnight. I have one trying to work it's way out, and I'm getting really worried. How long can they remain in there once they pip? More gray hair is coming in as I type!

Back
Top Bottom