Locking New Chickens in Coop Management

catcrazy37

Songster
6 Years
Jul 4, 2014
I've read that you have to lock new chickens in the coop for a few weeks before letting them out. What about the chickens already in there? Are they locked in as well? How do you manage this?

Firstly, that was the fastest response I've ever gotten. Secondly, I may have used the wrong unit of time.
Do you lock all your other chickens in as well?

Firstly, that was the fastest response I've ever gotten. Secondly, I may have used the wrong unit of time.
Do you lock all your other chickens in as well?

Usually i put new flock members in the coop for just two nights - after that i have never had a problem with them not knowing where to go at dusk. No need to keep the other chickens in lock down.

Good luck

CT

What are your plans for integrating the new chickens with the existing chickens?

That usually entails confining the new birds separated side by side with wire from the existing birds, by then the new birds are 'homed' to the enclosure.....
...and that's after medical/biological quarantine, if you're going to do that.

Are these new birds chicks ....or full grown birds?

ETA:
Consider medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
Poultry Biosecurity
BYC 'medical quarantine' search

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Last edited:
I have heard that too, but I don't ever lock my birds in the coop. I do keep them in the coop/run with the other birds for a couple of days. When ever I have added birds, they figure out where the coop is on their own. It just has not been a problem.

I agree, with AArt - the problem can be the other birds, and you need to give everyone an escape.

Mrs K

Okay, keeping them in the coop and run for a few nights makes sense. And yes, I am planning to do the medical quarantine, and then pen where the two groups of birds (old and new) can see each other but not touch each other, and then monitored integraton.

Back
Top Bottom