Log Cabin Coop

FirstChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Chuckey, TN
I have looked thru most all the picture on here and only found one log cabin type coop, does anyone else have one?

I am in the process of felling, dragging and setting up my area for the new log cabin type coop I'm going to build.

This leads me to my questions;

My plan is 10'x10' outside measurements, so roughly 9'x9' inside measurement. How many nesting boxes should I have? How many chickens can I put in this size building, I have 16 coming. Is that to many?

The run size will be, this is all the material I could afford to get right now, 16'x16' area. I can and will in the FUTURE make this larger, and I mean larger like 1/2 to 3/4 an acre larger. But need to get the goat fence up and set first.

Plus, can goats and chickens be kept together or do I need to separate them?

Thanks

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile will help folks give more viable suggestions/answers.

The 4 sqft floor space per bird in the coop is a bare minimum, in my opinion, and if you live where weather might keep them cooped up for days on end you should double it. Most chickens won't go out into snow.

Goats can gorge themselves on chicken feed, sometimes fatally....so make sure they can't get at it.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile will help folks give more viable suggestions/answers.

The 4 sqft floor space per bird in the coop is a bare minimum, in my opinion, and if you live where weather might keep them cooped up for days on end you should double it. Most chickens won't go out into snow.

Goats can gorge themselves on chicken feed, sometimes fatally....so make sure they can't get at it.

I updated my location, didn't even think about it. Most the forums I am on I don't put that out, but this is a different kind of forum.

Right now I am planning roughly 91 square feet of space, so 22 bird. That seems like a lot in one space, but they will have a run, so maybe not. I think I will make a couple coops. One for eggs and one for meat, that might make it easier to keep them separate and not name the meat birds. Keep the kids with the egg birds.

Goats, I will keep them separate till I come up with away to protect the birds food from the goats. Maybe feed them at the same time in a different part of the pasture?

Our goats and chickens (and pig) all mingle together by day, but we do have to keep the goats out of the coop. They will go after the feed.

We leave food available to the chickens all the time, they need a place where their food is, that the goats can't get in to... a little door only the chickens can fit through.

Back
Top Bottom