Lohmann Brown's dying, lost 5 so far, suspecting EYP? Warning - Photos....

Sadoll6360

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2018
I have 35 Lohmann brown chickens.

We have had them for about a month. They are 1.5 years old We purchased them from an organic egg farm nearby that was routinely changing out its heard. Our fifth bird has now gotten sick and died within 1.5 weeks. After the first birds started dying we did some research and suspected EYP.

Symptoms
1. Lethargic
2. Dull, Diminished,Floppy Combs
3. Yolk dripping from vent
4. Within 3-4hrs eye's shut
5. Shortly there after, dead.

We tried warm epsom baths and a dark quite place but it was too late. For the surviving chickens I purchased extra oyster shell, and we cut out table scraps and upgraded from farm and fleet feed to NON-GMO... We lost the first four the same weekend, I thought I had it solved until a week later (today), we lost another one bird to the same symptoms... Now I'm just not sure. We did an autopsy, Photo's and comments below.

I have to think they are getting enough calcium now with both Manna Pro Oyster Shell -always available, and a newer non-GMO feed that has ground oyster shells included.

Another thought, apparently, chloroform bacteria has a role in EYP. Our well once tested positive for (NON-E-Coli) chloroform Bacteria but was supposed to have been fixed. The chickens drink from the same well water as my wife, kids, and I and we haven't had any trouble, I cant imagine if chicken's would be more sensitive to mild bacteria contamination in the water than humans??? We will be testing water again this week.

Any Thoughts?

Below: This photo shows sick hen after her warm espom salt bath.

e.jpg

Below: This photo shows yolk drip from vent.

e2.jpg

Below: This photo shows autopsy results. (I found three eggs, 1 hard shell, and 2 soft shell, one soft shell was very- very large, too large to pass. NOTE: as soon as I opened up her body cavity yoke was present.***

e1.jpg

Attachments

• e3.jpg
    e3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom