Lone adult coturnix

Jannbo

Chirping
May 19, 2023
So I originally got four celadon chicks and they were all doing great until one started to weaken 2 months ago or so. I separated it and it miraculously bounced back, but would cry constantly for its siblings then every time I’d join them back, she would get pecked at by one of them so I had to keep it separate still. I eventually split the group in half, putting the calmest of that group with girl who was still weaker and smaller. They’ve become best buds while the other two become best buds. That was until they turned 6 weeks old and I woke up to frantic flapping, crying and crowing. Turns out I’ve got a sexually mature roo that’s getting way too aggressive with the one girl he was with. Yes I know they need multiple hens, I was trying to find some more but was struggling to find anyone that had hens locally. Basically he scalped her so I had to isolate her.

Once she healed up I couldn’t join her with the others because even hearing the male crowing gave her a panic attack. That male did die about two weeks ago though (not sure why, he had fresh ice water, proper food, shade, extra electrolytes in the water to deal with the heat, and a frozen bottle to cool off). I just went out there and he was dead. The other two in the exact same living environment are happy and healthy tho, so I think it had something wrong or was struggling with not being able to be with the others. I figured with that one gone I could reunite her with the others. Nope, they attacked her. So this girl is all alone still. I try to spend time with her and I keep her in the same room as my gambel chicks, but she obviously can’t be with them since she’s so much bigger than them.

What can I do to try and get back with the others safely or at least something to keep her happy? I can tell she’s not really happy being all alone, but I also can’t put her in a position that puts her life in danger. She’s somewhat friendly, tolerating it when I pick her up for cleaning her cage, but she definitely will let me know when she’s fed up with being held by starting to squirm

Try taking all of your birds out, cleaning and rearranging the pen, then put them all in together at night. They will wake up in a "new" environment and have other things to worry about than a new bird.
I’ll give it a go tomorrow for sure. Crossing my fingers it’ll work so she can finally have some feathered company

Back
Top Bottom