lone baby Guinea

breanna6627

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
Wisconsin
So… Guineas are notoriously terrible mothers, as I found out today. Apparently, a Guinea hatched a clutch and decided to leave them/ let them wander. I caught one, and might catch one or two later, but they're scattered around the pasture.
If this ends up being the only one I manage to catch, what to I do to keep it happy because it doesn't have any buddies to keep it company?
Do you think the mom could gather up the others and end up naturally taking care of them?
right now I'm going to True Value to get it a proper brooder. But since its somehow 90 degrees in Wisconsin so its warm enough to keep it outside in a box with food and water.

thank you.
By the way, I love your username/ profile gif

Thanks! It's a great combination I think. Funny enough, the "Misha" in my username doesn't refer to Misha directly. It actually so happens that I have a chicken named after Misha. She's a gigantic Shamo hen, but she lives in my bantam pen because it's the most secure and she's my favorite chicken. Because she's so tall, she kind of lords over all the little birds... like a Queen.

Thanks! It's a great combination I think. Funny enough, the "Misha" in my username doesn't refer to Misha directly. It actually so happens that I have a chicken named after Misha. She's a gigantic Shamo hen, but she lives in my bantam pen because it's the most secure and she's my favorite chicken. Because she's so tall, she kind of lords over all the little birds... like a Queen.

That is honestly the best thing I've heard today. Maybe someday I'll name one of my chickens after a quirky actor.
Did you do GISHEHES this year? I wanted to, but didn't get to it.

That is honestly the best thing I've heard today. Maybe someday I'll name one of my chickens after a quirky actor.
Did you do GISHEHES this year? I wanted to, but didn't get to it.

I really wanted to, but the current lack of a means of transport made that too difficult. I live in the middle of now where so I have to rely on other people for rides wherever I need to go. But I swore I'd do it next year! I'll definitely have my own car by then. In the mean time I've just been watching the silliness from afar.

Most of my chickens are named after actors, actresses, or characters I like. Maybe 80 of the 100 or so that are named are named like that. It's a miracle I remember all their names, to be quite honest.

Back
Top Bottom