Lone Hen...Should I Get Her a Buddy?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
My hen lost her rooster and I took her chicks away because too many were dying. She's now all alone in her coop and seems pretty lonely. We have a small LF flock as well but she's terrified of them and they're not very welcoming since they live in a separate coop.

I have the opportunity to get her a couple of buddies that are her age. I am raising up chicks, but they won't be ready to live out there for several weeks. Should I get one hen or a pair and introduce them? Would integration be smoother with just one or would it be best for her to be in a trio? She's a very sweet girl and I'm only looking to get calm, friendly hens to join her.

I know this is not an answer to your question, but do you know what caused the rooster and the chicks to die? I'd probably hesitate to bring new birds in if I was unsure if there was disease at play.

The chicks caught a respiratory illness from a pair of chicks I got from a breeder and the hen was also not attentive enough. The rest have been quarantined and the hen isn't showing symptoms. The rooster is actually being sent in for a necropsy tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom