Lone peacock problems

annarogetta

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Holden Massachusetts
So I have a spalding about a year now, at least 50% green. He did have a mate, a purple peahen that got taken by a fox last fall. Since then he hangs out with my ducks, which want nothing to do with him and he just seems lost, now he is starting to size up people and even cars and trying to pick fights. Before he lost his mate, they would go off and do their business, no trouble, he was very protective of her, which was fine. But of course now is all alone. I was thinking of getting chickens so he can have something to protect and be off doing his own thing, considering chickens can roost with him and go scavenging. I know getting a peahen would be the best option, but everyone free ranges and it would be easier to get a few female chicks to raise and get acquainted with the peacock rather than have to get a year old peahen and have her get beat up or run away or get a peahen as a chick and deal with the sexual maturity differences.
Any thoughts? I would like people who have mixed flocks to put input about it, and/or if it is a good idea, or any other ideas that are better

Sorry you lost your hen
hugs.gif

How old is your peacock?

I raise all my peachicks with other kinds of baby birds like guineas,ducks,geese,chickens and duck whatever hatches at the time, the ones i keep always keep to their own when kind when grown except guineas and peas do seem to be a bit closer, however male guineas will pester a peacock during mating season if there is no other guineas to pester and play chase with all day long, the female guineas do not.

None of my peafowl protect the chicken guineas or any other bird they were raised with and being as you boy is past raising age any of the birds you are thing about most likely will not work, so getting him another hen is a pretty good option , but then he may not like her it will be hard to know till you try it.

My peacock will be a year old in June. I have been looking at the buy, sell, trade in this byc site, and so far the peahens are a lot older than my peacock and most people don't want to ship only hens, which I don't need more peacocks, getting a peahen or two about a year is ideal. If I need peahens then it will take some time, that is why I asked if chickens are okay, since they mature faster and it is easier to have access to females only compared to peafowl.
And naturally I would want to get more peacocks and peahens, but I do have neighbors and I do plan to move out of the country within 3-5 years and having too much poultry could end up being expensive and troubling when the time comes to move. I plan to bring most of my flock with me.

But yeah, doing a little more research now, I think I need to get started soon, because he is getting more antsy by the day

Here he is about a month ago, this picture was taken after he had a hissy fit about me bringing the duck out, as you can see he got over it quick. He does hang around the ducks all day and tries to interact with him, but the ducks pecking order is very lax and my pea seems to prefer a more strict pecking order, which does cause conflict and they need time a part. He does groan a lot and looking in the windows of our house, he is really lonely and I feel bad

I know, when I got him I was told it was an Indian blue, which was initially what I wanted for their hardibess and that they were more docile, but as he grew older, I found out he was a spalding. This winter was really rough for him and my ducks, but he made it through. The worst part was when it was so cold he got a bloody nose, and I freaked out, but now I am better prepared for next winter

That is why I think he will do okay with chickens, he does interact with the ducks, but when the ducks forage in water or play in it the peacock will go off looking in my house or my neighbors houses with his little cry. And it has gotten to the point, where I do pick up my ducks he gets protective and starts sizing me up, and/or chase me. I did read peacocks can kill chickens, I just want someone with more knowledge on peacocks with other poultry to know if I am making a good move

That is why I think he will do okay with chickens, he does interact with the ducks, but when the ducks forage in water or play in it the peacock will go off looking in my house or my neighbors houses with his little cry. And it has gotten to the point, where I do pick up my ducks he gets protective and starts sizing me up, and/or chase me. I did read peacocks can kill chickens, I just want someone with more knowledge on peacocks with other poultry to know if I am making a good move

Not that I like to recommend guineas to anyone, because my 3 males drive me crazy, but maybe a couple guinea hens. They will fly up high and roost in trees like the Peas should. I don't think chickens will be able to do that. Of course if they lay eggs and get broody they will nest on the ground just like Peahens and if they are free ranged the chances of predators taking them are pretty high.

Back
Top Bottom