Lone silkie with larger breeds. Advice?

pecksandkisses

Songster
Nov 27, 2018
Hello! I had two young silkies with two Golden Comet hens and they were getting along fine. Unexpectedly, one of the silkies unexpectedly passed away the other day. I’m beginning to worry that the remaining silkie is getting bullied and will be sad. Should I just wait and see how this plays out? I’ve seen her cowering from the other hens and the hens will chase her around. I hope that it’s just them reestablishing the pecking order, but I don’t know what to do.

I have one mixed Silkie bantam in my flock of over 30 regular birds and she does fine... once in a while someone starts picking on her but she is faster and can dart under something (the hanging feeder or I’ve set up a board on cinder blocks for integrating chicks/pullets) so she hasn’t ever gotten injured. Maybe make sure there are places for her to escape to where the bigger birds can’t get to her easily?

I'd watch very closely. I have one silkie pullet that is so tiny compared to her flockmates. I have a silkie cockerel that is close to her size (she is 2lbs 3ozs and he is 2lbs 8ozs) but they don't hang out together. My pullet isn't a bully by any means but she will not take any unkind behavior from the others and she has no fear of them (no other pullet Bantams in this flock). Hopefully once your girl gets adjusted to the new reality, she will assert herself, I hope. Even though my Lil Bella is a top girl, she is the absolute sweetest girl to me and will come running anytime I call her name. Silkies seem so fragile though so if my girl wasn't like she is, I'd probably separate her and get her a flock of Bantams. Best wishes with your flock.

They have all seemed to mellow out a bit. I keep the silkie in a smaller “coop” at night. All of the bullying seems to have died down. I’m pretty sure they probably were all just stressed after the other silkie died. Thanks for all of the wise words!

Just monitor the situation if they really start harassing her and drawing blood it will become necessary to separate them as they are capable of killing her.

This. I had two silkies mum and daughter in with my layer hens, they were fine... but generally i don't mix bantams with the "regular" chickens but clearly exceptions sometimes occur.

At one time i also had a Silkie roo in with the layer flock, he was hilarious and very "in charge" the ladies loved him, but he passed on due to age...

Back
Top Bottom