Lone Survivor

E Garrett Perry

Hatching
Nov 18, 2022
Hi All,

My family and I have been keeping five hens for laying and insect control since April, and they've done great for us. The eggs have been an especially big help, since our household has grown by 9 Ukrainians, and it's nice to be able to save money on a staple whose price has more than doubled in our area over the last six months.
Unfortunately, this morning a neighbor's dog got loose (not for the first time) and killed 4/5 in our flock, plus half a dozen others belonging to our neighbors. My one surviving hen is distraught, and the loss of egg production is- while not a disaster- a serious inconvenience. My question is this:
How should I go about introducing 4-5 replacement pullets to my single surviving young-adult hen? Our infrastructure and the oncoming winter make divided housing difficult and impractical at best, unfortunately. What is the likelihood that the new girls will gang up on and kill the older one?
Much obliged for any help.

Your neighbor with the dog is so irresponsible, Im horrified for you! Make sure you bill him for your killed girls.

Give her sweetened water and put her in a warm semi dark place until she gets over the shock. Offer feed and regular water as well.

Do you have a crate? Can you introduce them with her in it so that they know they're going into her run and coop?

For a bit of backstory, I generally dislike getting the government involved in anything (even though I work for the govt, I digress) BUT, I would make a police report and request that the dog owner pay to replace your 4 girls with pullets coming into lay. I'm so sorry you had that happen, particularly due to someone else's negligence. I live in a pretty rural area, and MOST folks take personal responsibility pretty seriously, I'm hoping your neighbor is apologetic, preventing it from happening again, and willing to replace your lost birds!

Our county pays for livestock killed by predators even dogs.If you file a report with the county you should be compensated for the chickens and they'll deal with the dog owners themselves.You won't have to worry about the new hens killing her if you don't check her carefully for injuries and treat her for shock it can kill her.I'm sorry for your loss .An electric fence would prevent a dog killing them again.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. The one survivor is doing well (though not happy to be alone). The neighbor is compensating everyone in the village for their dead birds. The body-count is up to 13, and although I haven't heard from my neighbor across the way with the sheep it may end up including one of more of the woolies too.
Livestock killings of this kind are *really* not an issue for the cops around here. I live in a post-Communist country, and the cultural impetus against involving the State in interpersonal matters is extremely strong. However, the owner *has* been told that if the dog gets caught in the act it will instantly be shot, which *also* isn't something people would take to the Police.

Back
Top Bottom