Lonely Chick

nbro01h

Chirping
Jun 16, 2015
North Carolina
I recently began an integration with 3 chicks to my adults. I lost 2 chicks in 2 days, 1 before I even had any idea anything was wrong. The remaining chick seems to be fine although he is being medicated just to be sure, but he has become less active and eats and drinks very little since the other 2 died. We have been caring for him inside and he is much more active and eats/drinks more when in my company. Because of this we have reached the conclusion that he is depressed/lonely from the loss of the others. So, my question is, when I begin to integrate him again with my flock how should i proceed? I am concerned he would return to not eating/drinking for the time it takes the flock to accept and begin associating with him. I am considering purchasing a new pullet to introduce him to before integrating again. This may be a strange question but the chicks belonged to my kids so I want to make sure I don't lose the only one left.

Did you buy the chicks at 12 weeks or did you raise from day olds?

How did you do the integration?
How many adults in flock?
How big is coop and run(feet by feet for each)?

Were the 2 chicks killed by the flock or from disease?

I bought the chicks at a couple days old. The flock consists of 4 adult hens, 1 rooster, and 4 pullets(guessing 20 weeks old.) The coop is 8x6 and the run is about 400 ft². With the first 4 pullets I split the run for integration before allowing contact. It went so smooth that with these chicks I didn't split the run. Things still went very smoothly. The next day one of the chicks stayed in the coop, she was reactive and no injuries so I provided food and water to her in the coop. I found the chick dead the next morning and another chick was lethargic( again no injuries.) I decided to treat for cocci just in case, by the time I was able to get medicine, the chick was dead. I should also mention the pullets in the flock were initially raised with these chicks. They were purchased at the same time but were older than I was lead to believe so they were put out sooner.

Sounds like an illness.
What are you 'medicating' with?

I'd try keeping the chick in with the flock but separated by wire, just to assuage it's 'loneliness' in preparation for integrating once it gets bigger.

Back
Top Bottom