lonely chick

jjakaus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
wyandotte, mi
I have 5 chickens all about 19 weeks old - 4 hens and a rooster. We got 3 more chicks about 6 weeks ago. It was so hot, so I never really used a brooder, just cornered off a bit of the coop. They have all been together for the whole 6 weeks. They were never really one flock though. I have even had them all in the same run together for about 2 weeks, but still the separation. Yesterday I had to get rid of 2 of the 3 smaller ones. They were roosters and I didn't need any more. The last chick seems so lonley. She does follow the bigger flock and the rooster seems to protect her, but the other hens don't let her get to close. Last night they wouldn't even let her roost with them. Will they eventually include her or will she always be the lonely one? Would getting another hen her age help or hurt the situation?

Thanks

As she gets bigger she should be able to stand her ground more. It just sounds like the pecking order. Wish I could answer your question better, but I'm not sure about everything myself.

Back
Top Bottom