1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lonely Duck Getting Friends

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lovinducky, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Lovinducky

Lovinducky New Egg

May 2, 2016
    I have a 9 month old female Indian runner and until 2 days ago, her best friend was a Canadian goose she was raised with. Sadly, his separation anxiety got the best of him and he tried to follow us when we went to leave. My poor baby didn't know what hit him. :-( He's gone now and she's lonely.

I've been spending as much time with her as possible and even invited her into my home for a bit. She's a nervous ducky though and wanted to go back out.

Anyways. I ordered 2 baby female runners from McMurray and they will be here in a few weeks. Since it's cold, they will be raised inside until ready to go out.

Here's my question. When we get them, can we let Aflac in to see them so she knows she's going to have some friends? She's the sweetest duck and I feel like that would give her something to be happy about. Also, how long until they can safely be outside with her?

I'm heartbroken and I know she is too.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You can let her see them through a pen....once they are feathered you can try to introduce them....It depends on how the introductions go over the next few weeks......She will possibly vibrate when she first sees them....Normal behaviour.......Keep them safe and out of her reach.....

Cheers!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope you asked for a heat pac to come with your Runner ducklings. Frigid temps can really kill ducklings coming through the mail this time of year.

So sorry to hear you lost your Canada goose.

Like chickens really said best to introduce where your adult Runner can't injure the ducklings but of course bring her inside so she can meet them in the brooder. Once they get their legs under them good let them be together when you can supervise I bet your adult will be terrified of the ducklings they usually are till they get use to them. But they need to be fully feathered before they go outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by