Lonely Duck :(

MooseHabit

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Yesterday morning I had to put my Rouen to sleep. She was attacked by a racoon that tore one wing off and left the other broken. She was in such shock that she just stood there. The blood loss was bad
sad.png
Broke my heart. The doctor said that surgery is possible but she most likely will not survive. It figures that ONE time I don't put them in the cage (I was out very late and didn't get home till 2:30 am and came home to her like this) this would happen. I am very sad. But my biggest worry is Maybelle, my Pekin. They grew up together since they hatched, and this is their first time being apart from each other. I don't want her to get lonely. I am giving her as much attention as I can. How do I know if she is getting lonely? Will I need to get another duck for her? When getting another duck for her, should I get her a duckling that she can take care of (is that possible)? or should I get a full grown duck that might not get along with her? I have an animal trap outside and last night I caught a possum, the possum didn't seem to care about the egg bait (whatever attacked Cinny wanted the eggs). So I am just assuming racoon, but how will I know? I will set the trap every night until I catch it.

I know I asked a lot of questions, but anything helps. Thanks!

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear about your Rouen!
hugs.gif

If you don't have any other ducks then I suggest getting Maybell another pal. Ducks are extremely social and she will be so terribly lonely without a friends. A Pekin will probably not "raise" a duckling for you unless she's been broody for a little while. However, babied do grow fast so if your only option is bringing home a duckling (or gosling) then it's better than letting her be all alone.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Most of us have had it happen at least once, so I feel your pain.

Answers:
Yes, she will need another companion. No, she won't take care of ducklings that you give to her (and may even harm them). Your best bet is just to find another female duck to bring home. Ducks are intensely social and without other ducks to keep either one company, they will probably latch onto each other right away. If not, there are lots of things you can do to build the bond.

Do be sure you keep the new one cooped up (with the old one) for a few days or weeks until she is comfortable in her new home. Otherwise, she may wander off in search of something familiar.

Good luck with the capture. Raccoons are wicked smart and may not fall for the trap. It's a hard and painful lesson, but I know more than one person (myself included) who has come home a little after dark to discover that the flock has already been attacked. Mine never ever ever are left out after dark now. The predators await. If I know I'll be home late, I lock them up early with extra food. If I don't know until it's too late, I call a neighbor to come lock them up. I make sure everything is always set up so all they have to do is herd them in and close the gate.

Good luck also with finding a new companion.

Good to know. There is a place nearby where i got them as ducklings, and they have tons of older ducks too. I will have to check it out. As for locking them up together....I have a large dog cage that my duck sleeps in....other than that they have the backyard...which is big for a Southern Californian backyard haha, so they will be with eachother all the time if they are out of the cage....so should I still lock them both up in the dog cage?

Back
Top Bottom