Lonely Gander

Laurie2021

Hatching
Jun 17, 2021
Hi, We live out in the country and have a creek and a pond. Frequently back yard ducks are dropped off by people who don't want them and think they can just "survive" on their own. Recently, we noticed that a gander, maybe Chinese or African was at our pond. He seems lonely and try's to be friends with the wild ducks swimming in the creek. He doesn't seem to recognize us as a "human". Needless to say, I am wondering if I need to get him a friend. Can it be another gander? Does it have to be the same breed? Does it need to be an adult or would a pullet be OK? I don't see them as pets, just fun to watch around the pond and in the creek. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you!

It can be another gander, they may have squabbles in the spring but they won’t be bad once they’re bonded and now that breeding season is pretty much over now is the best time to introduce another gander.
Considering how he’s living a feral lifestyle I wouldn’t get a juvenile, domestic geese don’t really do very well on their own and juveniles are worse at it and probably wouldn’t survive long.

Honestly though geese living on their own without being fed and put in at night won’t fair well and might last a year or two if they’re incredibly lucky. If predators don’t get them malnutrition will so unless you’re planning on starting to feed him and any friend you’re going to get for him and ensure they have a safe place to sleep at night all you’re going to do is bring in another goose just to watch it die like the first, fast or slow and watch the survivor mourn until they die as well.

If you’re going to let them live a feral life it would be more humane to contact a rescue or humane society and have them pick him up or try to rehome him yourself.

Thank you for your reply. We are feeding him and plan to have a shelter for him this winter. He's doing well by himself. We have a creek that runs year round and had lots of grass and moss for him to eat, but he loves his treats of cracked corn.

Thank you for your reply. We are feeding him and plan to have a shelter for him this winter. He's doing well by himself. We have a creek that runs year round and had lots of grass and moss for him to eat, but he loves his treats of cracked corn.
Glad to hear he’s doing well!
I would get him some all flock or multiflock, especially come winter when the grass dies back, corn os scratch grains are nice treats but have little nutritional value.

Back
Top Bottom