Lonely goose at a parking lot, what to do??

Denvercityz

Hatching
Apr 14, 2021
Few days ago noticed a lonely goose at a parking lot. I have a feeling it lost its mate recently and it’s been sitting there at a parking lot waiting for its mate. I feel so heartbroken that it just sits there and does nothing. Today I tried to come closer and gave some carrots, cabbage and bread but it just couldn’t care less and walked away. After an hour I checked back and it was just still sitting therein the middle of this parking. It’s windy and cold too and it’s 10pm. Don’t they go somewhere where they have a home? Or where do they sleep? And what is going to happen to this goose? Is it going to find a new mate?

I don’t want to call the city, as city of Denver and Colorado are horrible with geese! They killed 2000 geese and fed to homeless. https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/11/denver-canada-goose-culling-ends/
I sent a letter to city of Denver and they replied that is was needed to control the geese population to keep the parks clean!!! I thought Colorado was a humane state...

But what can I do about this lonely goose???? Or do you think people shouldn’t get involved in wild life?

Is it a domestic or wild goose?

If it’s domestic you could call the humane society or any farm animal sanctuaries that are in your state, or just scoop them up and take them home. In my state it’s technically illegal to do this with the various ducks and geese dumped at city ponds, I guess they don’t want people just taking and abusing them, but they end up starving or succumbing to illness from malnutrition there anyway so whatever.

If it’s wild you could try contacting a wildlife rehabilitator, generally it’s illegal to interfere with wildlife/migratory birds without a permit, rehabbers can do something about it, though it’s up to them if they will or not.

There’s one in my office parking lot too in Centennial Co. There was a pair there for about a week and now the male is gone. The female has been alone for almost a week. I think they like the reflective glass on the building but now she just sits there by the door all day and night. It’s super sad and yes what Denver did to the geese a couple years ago is disgusting. I too don’t know what to do because ppl are complaining about the poop but I just feel sorry for her being alone.

Back
Top Bottom