Lonely hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by imaleomom, Sep 12, 2009.

1. imaleomom

imaleomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SC
    Ok, so what do you guys do when only one hatches? This may/may not be the case over here but I'm just trying to be prepared. Do I look around for day old chicks in the area? Sit tight and raise a loner?

I'd love to hear your stories.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Feather duster.

3. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    mirror/stuffed animal

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I was worried about that with my first small hatch too. I personally would look around for day-olds too, or at least very young birds. I think it might be hard this time of year, although I guess I do still see them on craigslist. Where in SC are you? I'm in Charlotte, NC--I have some not-quite-week-old ducklings and could probably part with one as a companion--of course, ducks are not chickens, so it's not ideal. But if you run out of other options...

Hopefully it won't be necessary, though. Sending you good hatching vibes!!

5. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    reblecowboy you don't make a feather duster out of the poor thing

6. kaffleck

kaffleck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2009
    I have one. I was going to get it a buddy from a friend but my friend said alot of her chickens are poorly and I don't want to introduce disease to it. It's getting lots of cuddles - I'm it's mummy and my kids are it's siblings! It can escape out the brooder and runs after us - very cute. Strangely enough the best way to get it to stay in the brooder is to leave the door open! I'm going to invest is something more escape proof though as I'm scared that it will get stepped on. Oh, and cos it's pooping everywhere!
    I have more eggs due to hatch beginning of october. Fingers crossed I will get some chicks from that batch and I aim to integrate 'Keeko' with them when they are a few weeks old and coming off the heat.

7. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Quote:Of course you don't. You put the feather duster in the brooder as a surrogate mom or as surrogate siblings.

RSD

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by