Lonely hen

Hi and welcome to BYC. Knowing the cause of death of her flock mates would be my priority in your situation.

Chat with other BYC members nearby using the links in my signature, below (turn your phone to landscape to see them).Make yourself at home and enjoy the forums.

Best wishes

Pork Pie
The latest death is a mystery, she did have black tarry stools for a few weeks which cleared up with vinegar additives to their water. The birds free range and this hen tended to pick at loose paint flakes. She was okay at 10am, then dead by 4pm. A previous hen died of a self inflicted broken neck. The first one was an internal layer. All came from TSC in 2019 as chicks along with two roosters which I had processed.

I lost my third hen today out of a small flock of four. They did not make it to two years of age and I am torn about getting more. The one remaining hen is distraught and lonely never having been dominant or alone. Should I get her a companion now or wait until spring when I can purchase from a reliable breeder?
Craigslist.. I got my 13 chickens when I went to a chicken BbQ in Sept '19 . I just asked around if anybody had any chickens. In the interim get a cheap mirror.

Back
Top Bottom