Lonely rooster, how to introduce hens?

two early

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Ok, well I'm new to this so....Son built me a hen house and brought a rooster with him. The rooster has been in the hen house for 4 days. We are going to let him out today and hope he has gotten the idea that it is his home. I want to introduce some hens. He says get some pullets and leave them in the hen house with him. The pullet guy says the rooster will kill them, that I need to get older hens. Has anyone out there done it like this...rooster first, hens next? What's the consensus? Oh, and they are going to be free roaming, if that makes any difference, with hopefully getting cooped up at nite.

if they are free ranging they will be fine. once they adjust they will be fine, he shouldn't be aggressive with the hens after a couple hours.

Make sure to quarantine your new pullets or hens for 30 days I had my hens then got a rooster he did escape his quarantine pen early there did not seem to be many problems the hens pecked him if he got out of hand good luck.

I have never had a rooster kill pullets. If he is a great big roo then you might not want him with a small breed because he can break them down. Also. you will need enough pullets/hens so that he won't be after the same one or two all of the time.

Back
Top Bottom