'Lonely, sad' bereaved chicken tale

socialdougal

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2015
We had a pair of free-range, laying Isa Browns who could always be seen scratching around all over the place together.

Then one of them was killed by a feral cat. The evidence was feathers, some of them bloodied, laying in the garden, and plenty of paw prints in the wet earth. The surviving hen was standing alone at the back of the house.

Later that day, I saw the survivor picking up the feathers of the dead hen in the garden. Then she started to call out like she was calling the other hen. If I did not see and hear it myself, I would never have believed it. At the risk of sounding like a soft old git, that's one of the most surprisingly sad events I've personally witnessed.

She is still giving eggs, but now spends most of her time sitting around. Her behaviour is markedly different.

I already abstain from most animal products. If I did not, this would have inspired me to get started. As it happens, I now feel more motivated to abstain completely.

As for our solo hen, she'll get some new company as soon as I make them a safe area to scratch around in.

Despite what many people say, chickens do miss their companions. Especially if there are only 1 or 2 of them. Chickens are a social bird, they hang out together, for protection & company. Sounds like your hen needs some company...sorry for your loss. You now have the task of cat proofing your garden, or making a moveable chicken tractor for your girl (s).
Welcome to BYC,
frow.gif

That is a heart breaking story. I'm sorry about her death. I hope your remaining hen cheers up once she gets new companions. One of our forum member s here, @TwoCrows has written about chickens mourning after a loss.

We had a pair of free-range, laying Isa Browns who could always be seen scratching around all over the place together.

Then one of them was killed by a feral cat. The evidence was feathers, some of them bloodied, laying in the garden, and plenty of paw prints in the wet earth. The surviving hen was standing alone at the back of the house.

Later that day, I saw the survivor picking up the feathers of the dead hen in the garden. Then she started to call out like she was calling the other hen. If I did not see and hear it myself, I would never have believed it. At the risk of sounding like a soft old git, that's one of the most surprisingly sad events I've personally witnessed.

She is still giving eggs, but now spends most of her time sitting around. Her behaviour is markedly different.

I already abstain from most animal products. If I did not, this would have inspired me to get started. As it happens, I now feel more motivated to abstain completely.

As for our solo hen, she'll get some new company as soon as I make them a safe area to scratch around in.
I am so sorry about your hen and this sad story.
hugs.gif
I know exactly what you are talking about here. And I see you found my article!
wink.png
I will add your story to the article and again, I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom