Long Island Ny Laws On Chickens????

chickie<3 :

Anyone on here know if we r allowed to have chickens in nassau county...town of oyster bay?? Or where could i find out online

I'm in Freeport. That's on the south shore of Long Island, in Nassau County. I've had two hens since July of 2009. I went to the local public library and asked the reference librarian for the Freeport Village code books showing all the ordinances for the Incorporated Village of Freeport. That's where I found out that each Freeport household is allowed to keep two female chickens. No fees, no permits, no wordage concerning size of land or coop location, etc. So I suggest going to your local public library. Worked for me.
Good luck. Chicken-keeping is such fun!
-Carolyn252​

actually.. i just spent some time at the oyster bay website. this was updated in may.. so id say its current

"5.5.16Keeping of farm animals. No building, structure or premises shall be erected, altered or used in any residence district for the housing or harboring of pigeons, fowl, swine, goats, horses, rabbits, foxes, mink and bees, except when authorized by special use permit from the Board of Appeals. No accessory building or structure or part thereof used for the housing of such farm animals shall be located less than 50 feet from any lot line"

http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=181730&advquery=fowl&infobase=oyster.nfo&record={1F7029F}&softpage=Browse_Frame_Pg42

maybe there is hope?

I just got a summons, and was told by Code Enforcement they have to be gone by next week.
All from an @#*** neighbor who has a vendetta against us from a tree issue from the beginning of the year.

5.5.16 does not seem to apply. no printed mention of "chicken". Years ago we all had them, I now live ( if you could call it that ) in Texas. Lived first 21 in Malverne - Drake st. and Mastic Beach ( summers ) Love L.I. Paul

I contacted TOB via their website and about a week later the Town Inspector called me back and cited the same 5.5.16. The code specifically mentions fowl, which is all sorts of birds specifically kept for their eggs or flesh. I asked him about the special zoning permit, but the same code restricts any sort of structure from being less than 50 ft from any lot line. The issue there is that most of these lots are 100 ft wide at best.

I'm not sure how the person above in a village within TOB is getting around that. I'm currently looking into ways to amend the legislation. Even Brooklyn allows two hens in yards.

5.5.16 seems to refer to the construction of a " building or structure".... It does not specifically say you cannot have chickens...so does that mean you can have chickens but not an outdoor shelter ie.coop?....can they be kept in your garage at night and roam free on your property during the day?...

Back
Top Bottom