long sad cat story...help!!!!

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
OK, my daughter adopted the runt from our barn cats litter, because she was so feeble, no one wanted her. We adopted out her brother and sister and she was so traumatized when they left, that it caused even more health problems, besides making everyone feel terrible. So a year went by and she was doing well then the summer came and my daughter (who's in college) brought her home for the summer break. And had her spayed. She recovered beautifully, but two weeks later she was attacked by one of our cats, and had some pretty serious wounds that required stitching. While in recovery at the vets, she caught her leg in their cage and dislocated her hip..The vet accepted full responsiblility for this accident, but the hip dislocation required more surgery, and they ate the cost of that. she was in a no-chew collar for a month, and then we removed it, as the wound healed. She promptly ripped it open. That has happened continually since. The vet sewed it up again the first few times at no charge, but the last time he refused to use anesthesia, and was very rude. Basically since then they have told my daughter there is nothing they can do for the cat. The last few times she has just plastered the cat together herself, and kept her continually in a baby tee shirt or a collar. Every time the wound heals up, she rips it open again. We think the vet has left a stitch in the original surgical wound that never dissolved, and that is what is causing all this irritation. The vet refuses to acknowledge this and says they're not going to open her up again to see. My daughter (who is on a college student budget and schedule) is at her wits end. Frankly, the thought of euthanizing the cat has crossed my mind, but I know that is out of the question. So what can we do? Anyone's thoughts would be very much appreciated! HELP!!!!!

The next time she opens herself up take a good look inside the wound, you may be able to spot just what is causing the issue. Cats aren't stupid and she knows something is in there that shouldn't be. Only other thing I can think of is when it happens again soak her in a bath of betadine and warm water. She won't thank you of course but it may help draw anything in there out. Last possible thing to do is if it isn't bleeding badly, leave her alone. She'll take care of it by herself.

I'd also think about a new Vet. There might have been something left inside, not just a stitch, and this could be causing the problem.

She's tried leaving her alone, but the cat just keeps chewing it. And she's thinking about going to another vet, yeah. I will tell her to look carefully inside the wound and the betadine bath might be a good idea. It isn't toxic to them? Will it stain her fur? (She's black and white...)

Thanks for your input, we appreciate it!

She's tried leaving her alone, but the cat just keeps chewing it. And she's thinking about going to another vet, yeah. I will tell her to look carefully inside the wound and the betadine bath might be a good idea. It isn't toxic to them? Will it stain her fur? (She's black and white...)

Thanks for your input, we appreciate it!

when she had the original surgery, they used the betadine scrub on her. Not toxic, just tastes bad, so she won't want to lick it too much. Just rinse her well after soaking or use a baby shampoo. This almost sounds like there's something under the muscle that you can't see. If you can't find a Vet, get some Vetrycin [sp?] and use that on the wound. It will keep it from becoming infected and let her take care of it.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope everything works out for you and the poor cat.

Thanks. I just learned (and I didn't know this before) that the cat is randomly ripping holes all over herself, not just at the original
surgical site. So that kinda points to...well...maybe she needs a cat shrink? Or some psych meds, as if my daughter can afford that stuff. :(

This could be an enviromental thing, anything different? Flea meds.? I really don't know. If the cat has been normal up to now I would think it's a reaction to something. Boredomwill cause an animal to chew on itself. I'm really trying to think here.

There's a product you can buy at most pet stores. I can't remeber the name of it but it contains bitter orange. Animals don't like it and won't chew or lick where it's sprayed. You could try it and see if it will help. When you see the cat paying attention to one particular area, spray it. It'll probably take a few times. I still think a new Vet and a check up would be the best thing to do. Know it's not cheap but they could check and see if she may have picked up some kind of skin disease from her stay with the first Vet.

Could it be stress related? If she has been moved around, attacked badly by another cat and had a stay at the vets I would think she is quite traumatized by now! I am not a cat person but know people with them and it seems to me that they like to be settled in a routine and they most certainly hate the vets! Just a thought, what do you think?

If she's tearing out areas beside the wound it could be a few things. It could be allergies, it could be fleas (or allergies to fleas, I know a dog that did exactly what the cat was doing because the itching was so bad) it could be eczema (horribly dry skin that cracks and itches), and it goes on and on.

Another factor is like you mentioned before, she was the runt of the litter, and not healthy from the beginning. I'm sorry to say, but very often (yes there are exceptions, but they're just that, exceptions) runts end up with more and more health problems as they go on, and end up dying early. A friend of mine just went through the sad experience of having to put down her runt cat, she was only 3 years old and was having heart failure, amongst other problems.

The best thing she can do is take her cat to a new vet that other people have had good experiences with, and to do an honest assessment of her cat's quality of life. Is she doing her pet any favors by dragging this out? It hurts to make that choice, but it's hurting the cat more to make it suffer (if that's the case).

That's what she is doing, she's found a totally new vet, and she has to take her there b/c she needs stitched as a result of the latest.
Stress is certainly a good possibility, although she is used to being here, and over the summer she didn't do the ripping up of herself, nearly as much
as she is now. Fleas and skin problems? Well, maybe. Fleas have been awful for everyone this year here. She has flea drops on of course, and
there are no infestations, but sure, there are a few around. I hope she does not have to put her down, but yes she is starting to think about it. Midge
(the cat) was born with a heart murmur, and she struggled with health problems hugely, but she recovered so remarkably for a while, and was so resilient
following her spay surgery (that was done by a different vet) that I would hate to see euthanasia be the end result. Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions
and input. Oh, yeah, she's tried the bitter apple spray....made no difference, she thinks the cat liked the taste of it!
roll.png

If she's tearing out areas beside the wound it could be a few things. It could be allergies, it could be fleas (or allergies to fleas, I know a dog that did exactly what the cat was doing because the itching was so bad) it could be eczema (horribly dry skin that cracks and itches), and it goes on and on.
Another factor is like you mentioned before, she was the runt of the litter, and not healthy from the beginning. I'm sorry to say, but very often (yes there are exceptions, but they're just that, exceptions) runts end up with more and more health problems as they go on, and end up dying early. A friend of mine just went through the sad experience of having to put down her runt cat, she was only 3 years old and was having heart failure, amongst other problems.
The best thing she can do is take her cat to a new vet that other people have had good experiences with, and to do an honest assessment of her cat's quality of life. Is she doing her pet any favors by dragging this out? It hurts to make that choice, but it's hurting the cat more to make it suffer (if that's the case).

X2 I've seen dogs and cats chew themselves raw from fleas, even with flea meds..

That's what she is doing, she's found a totally new vet, and she has to take her there b/c she needs stitched as a result of the latest.
Stress is certainly a good possibility, although she is used to being here, and over the summer she didn't do the ripping up of herself, nearly as much
as she is now. Fleas and skin problems? Well, maybe. Fleas have been awful for everyone this year here. She has flea drops on of course, and
there are no infestations, but sure, there are a few around. I hope she does not have to put her down, but yes she is starting to think about it. Midge
(the cat) was born with a heart murmur, and she struggled with health problems hugely, but she recovered so remarkably for a while, and was so resilient
following her spay surgery (that was done by a different vet) that I would hate to see euthanasia be the end result. Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions
and input. Oh, yeah, she's tried the bitter apple spray....made no difference, she thinks the cat liked the taste of it!
roll.png
Stress can do all kinds of things but it's very good she is taking her to a new Vet. I hope everything works out for you both. This is a sad situation but in the end if they can't find what's going on the best thing may be to put her to sleep. So very sorry.

Back
Top Bottom