Long skinny eggs and hatchability

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Ok I am hatching another batch believe it or not! The batch of eggs I got have a couple of eggs that are long and thin, and I am wondering if that has any effect on hatchability. It probably does not but just thought i would ask. Of course, I am sure to find out soon! Has anyone any experience with this?

Last edited:
I have a couple like that in my bator. I couldn't even tell which end was the big one...they were identical at the ends. Mine are due on the 22 and I'll let ya know how many, if any hatch.

Anyone know...I figured an egg is an egg so it should hatch but I honestly have no clue......

It probably will hatch as good as other eggs but the egg shape is sometimes hereditary and the babies hatched from these eggs might grow up to lay misshapen eggs.

I would guess they would have just as good of a chance as any other egg !!!!! Guess you will find out what side is the big end when you candle !!!!

every one has always told me not to try to hatch a miss shapen egg that there was not adequte room for the chick to grow properly......... but i have got them to hatch what i did concerning not knowing which end was which was just as soon as you can candle i did about 4 days you can see which end is which. hope this helps!! GOOD LUCK

The eggs I have gotten from my hens like that have usually been pullet eggs. They can hatch, but they sometimes need help getting out..
Like george said, after a few days of incubation, you should be able to determine which end the air sac is in. Just lay them on their sides until then, and turn them by hand.

I have hatched a lot of eggs like this, and of all the eggs that had pipped, I have not lost any. I have had 3 chicks die, but they were unrelated causes.

Back
Top Bottom